Have to give it up for now.

lodiscolee

I am going to be taking my tank down - due to house for sale and travel for work - I am looking for some one in the Chicago land area who would be willing to purchase all of the Live Rock - thinking about 80 to 100 lbs
- a bunch of Live Sand - 2 Brittel Stars - 1 Coral Banded Shrimp - a bunch of Polyps and hermits and a few green emrald crabs. Also the tank, stand and lights are up for sale - I am asking for $ 500.00 for everything - pick up only -if any one is interesed let me know and we can talk.
thansk, Lee

flower

I am sooo sad to hear you are not going to have a tank...I am in the same boat. I was going to move my tank but it is too large for my new place.
Mine is a 90g really well established. I was going to ask $2000.00 you are only asking $500 ??? You can get better if you sell in sections. I am going to downsize and use all that I can from my system. I can't just not have any tank...it wouldn't be home without one.
I spent a $1000.00 on my MH lighting alone just a few months ago.

oceana

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3066795

I am sooo sad to hear you are not going to have a tank...I am in the same boat. I was going to move my tank but it is too large for my new place.
Mine is a 90g really well established. I was going to ask $2000.00 you are only asking $500 ??? You can get better if you sell in sections. I am going to downsize and use all that I can from my system. I can't just not have any tank...it wouldn't be home without one.
I spent a $1000.00 on my MH lighting alone just a few months ago.
resale value on these tanks is VERY VERY poor. the only way to get any real cash on a set up is to split it up and even then you wont get much more.
lighting system sell for less then half what they cost new most of the time. the tank itself has an even worse resale value. coral is about the only thing that you can sell for near or more what you paid
for example this set up is only a good deal because of the rock. without it it would never sell for 500. sucks to think about since we put so much into these tanks but those are the facts

fishkid13

I would be interseted in the live rock. I don't live any where near close to Ch. Does it have to be pick up only?

bmkj02

Originally Posted by oceana
http:///forum/post/3066821
resale value on these tanks is VERY VERY poor. the only way to get any real cash on a set up is to split it up and even then you wont get much more.
lighting system sell for less then half what they cost new most of the time. the tank itself has an even worse resale value. coral is about the only thing that you can sell for near or more what you paid
for example this set up is only a good deal because of the rock. without it it would never sell for 500. sucks to think about since we put so much into these tanks but those are the facts

+1 Thats why I looks for used equipment as it cost soooo much less. I paid $150 for a AGA 125g tank 3/4" thick glass with mfg built stand delivered. A friend of mine is selling his 125 tall tank for $400 and no bites. Dropped it to $250 and still no bites. I think he is deciding to keep it now. Once you in might as well stay in cause you aren't making your money back

flower

Originally Posted by oceana
http:///forum/post/3066821
We don't purchase all this stuff for te resale value, but for the love of the hobby. The only joy in selling is helping a newbe setup and start their own.
I remember when I sold my 55g freshwater setup for $200.00 I even tossed in the fishfood. I gave the girl my number so if she had any questions I could help her out. I made a friend.
I am hoping to at least get enough to buy the smaller tank. I still want to keep as much coral as possible. My fish are all for larger tanks and can't go in a smaller one. The Hippo was going to be unhappy in a few years with the 90g. The golden headed sandsifter goby, the Kole tang...all need big tanks.
I was thinking seahorses but then I read about all the trouble Meowzer is having with Bigun...I am just not so sure now. I even toyed with the idea of putting the whole tank up in the garage...but then when would I get to enjoy it. I even had extra electric run for the tank in my new living room.
The thing is that if I keep the tank then we can't fit a sofa, and visiters have no sitting area. I can't take the whole living room up just for a fish tank...so I need to be realistic and downsize.