have you heard of this fish???

o.nerka

has anyone heard of a fish called a "green birdfish"???? I saw a male and female at the store today but not to my suprise the guy there didnt know a thing about them.....the male is an emarald green and was about 4 inchs long with a long snout and his mouth on the end of the snout, the female was somewhat duller. Any idea what "group of fish: this is from????

marineman

they are in the WRASSE fish species, often called a (green bird wrasse). get 11 inches long, need a 100gallon or bigger tank, are hardy & very active aquarium fish that will eat most types of crustaceans, female are brown in color, males green. hope this helps.

humuhumu

Green and black bird wrasse are the same fish. The juveniles all start out as females (black) and as they mature a few will turn into the green males.

mavis1032

Originally Posted by humuhumu
Green and black bird wrasse are the same fish. The juveniles all start out as females (black) and as they mature a few will turn into the green males.
Sorry I know this is a real old post, but I just gor a real cool Black Bird Wrasse. It is about 4"long with a black tail greay body and orange and white mouth(beak). Is this true that it will turn into a green bird? This is the first I heard of this.

v-lioness

MAVIS1032 - They can turn but does not mean they will turn......... If you were to add another female chances are greater that one would turn, but again does not mean it will.
I have had her for quite a few years now and she is still a female..... lol

Kaye