Having a big problem with things dyeing

newbietanker

I have a big problem with certain things dying in my tank always.. It seem that every Invert I put in my tank in dies withing 24 hours or snails they die too.. Also I put in my first "live coral" 2 rocks with these green mushrooms on them.. the guy at the store said these are almost impossible to kill and when I saw them at the store they where fully expanded when I brought it home the mushromms where closed in tight and had never expanded again and its been a week and they look worst and worst every day.. My fish are doing perfect tho but my coral/inverts arent anyone have an idea of what it could be?

q

Probably a water quality problem.
Give some info.
How long has tank been up. Water perameters.

flydan

Hey,
Inverts are very sensitive to changes in sg. Your fish may survive, but the inverts wont. So, as posted above, what are your water perameters, including sg and temp? I am also curious how you acclimated the inverts to your tank.

-shawn-

Generally, invert can withstand rough water parameters. However, the main problem I foresee is the specific gravity of the tank. Too high or too low will easily kill most inverts. It maybe be some other problems. I would defiantely get your water checked out.

mr . salty

I am also guessing COPPER.ALL inverts and corals can NOT survive any copper...Even if copper was used in the tank a long time ago,it may still be present in the substrate,and rock...Do a copper test,and let us know the readings...

newbietanker

ok sorry took me so long to reply.. I did a water Test everything is perfect.. I did at one time just had a salt water tank with dead corals and used copper.. Yes I herd that the copper will kill the new coral and everything... So this is what I did and why I dont think its copper.. I took out everyhtign int he tank sand,water and older coral and threw it away and started from scratch... I put water in my tank and filled it up and tested it for copper.. The test showed up positive so I was like ohh no so I did the tank over and over and over and it still showed up I had copper... So Then I was really board and tested my water from my sink and it showed up as copper... So then I knew I had a problem.. and I bought a Reverse Osmoses thing for my tank so I could have clean water with no copper.. so I filled the whole tank up with the reverse osmoses water and I did a copper test on it and showed up as no copper in the water at all.. But I wasnt satsified at all even though it said I had 0 copper I put Carbon in the system to get rid of it just in case for a week. Not only that just to be Super sure I used this pad I forgot the name of it that sokes up everything bad too.. It suppost to turn blue or purple if theres and copper and in never changed colors at all.. Im getting really frustrated with this tank.. I spent soo much money on it and everything dies execpt for the fish :( I used 3 copper test and they all show that I have 0 copper in my fish tank... The water quality is fine.. One thing thats really wierd in the rock with the mushrooms on it is supposivly almost impossible to kill as long as I have light on it and it died too :( I love salt water fish but all this madness and expense is making not want them.. Im almost thinking of bringing my Fish back to the store and getting fresh water fish... In my salt water tank.. (of course Ill drain it and stuff)

ebeckels

if i were u, i'd wait a few months and then try again. The tank might just need to cycle and mature more... try adding more live sand to help this. make sure your lighting is good too. a few watts per gallon is what is needed for many corals
-Eric

newbietanker

I got real good light I got the JbJ or JBL lighting I forgot cost me like $500 for it.. As far as the cycling goes thats over with I already did the cycling..

artskoi

Need to know PH,Calcium,Alkalinity and Nitrate.If new tank and several fish may be high nitrate.Fish don't mind Nitrate.Also need to acclimate.Corals sensitive to changes.

junkf15

Sorry, but I vote for your freshwater idea. Sounds like you have persistence, which is good, but no patience, which is deadly in this hobby (for your animals). Sorry to be the voice of doom. If you really want a salt water tank go get a good book, like "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta and read it cover to cover.

landmeier

Even if your tests are showing up 0 copper, there is still some copper left in the silicon(SP?) seals of the tank. That is if it is a glass tank. There will always be copper in your tank and the only way to get rid of it is to get a new tank. Washing, scrubing, carbon, and your magic cure that "gets rid of everything bad" isn't going to work. You should never add copper to a tank you want to put coral or inverts into. You should have a small quarintine tank for copper treatments. This tank is doomed. You will only be able to have fish in it. Anyone who disagrees feel free to dispute. This is my 2 cents.

marinelover

I have only been doing the saltwater thing for close to a year and from one newbie to another, two things I can tell you. 1st, READ EVERYTHING YOU CAN GET YOUR EYES ON.EVERYTHING!!!! 2nd- be patient. I am not but have learned it from my tanks.
If you have the access to another tank(maybe you can trade someone you know) start over one more time, if you really love saltwater it is worth it. I hope all works out for you. Good Luck