hawaiian black triggers in a reef?

natep206

ok so most online retailers have them posted as not reef safe. is this beacause they just move around rocks and that could crush corals? ant that they will eat crustations? or that they will eat corals?
thanks
nate

vanos

I can't answer your question but I saw a lot of these fish when I was snorkeling in Mauii. Beautiful and very docile. I got really close to these since these fish were swimming out in the open in groups.

emperor11

As well as the Crosshatch, and Sargassum. (two of the rarer triggers) I dont recommend the hawaiian black, but I don't know that its ever been tried either. Not sure if its worth buying it, and having to trade it back in, because its eating your coral..
I would go with a Blue Throat, Crosshatch, or Sargassum, personally. The regular Nigers are SOMETIMES okay, but they need to be watched.

cougar

Black Hawaiian and crosshatch are both pretty rare. SWF does have the black on there list but rarely has in stock. Crosshatch, if ever found, is pretty expensive. That is why the blue throat is so popular. Common and inexpensive.

hot883

Originally Posted by NateP206
dose anyone know for a fact they they will pic at or eat corals?
nate
You also have to worry about crabs and snails. I do not know your answer though. Sorry

natep206

im starting a 50 gallon preditor reef in the begining of october. i actually want it to be maui based. i visit maui every year and see these triggers all the time. hand fed them several times also. they are very docile towards humans. i will add two of them both will be 2" max. ill be trading them back to my lfs when they get close to 5".
ill have a huge amount of hermits probably 100 or so.(most hermits originate from hawaii, blue leged, zebraso if they eat some of them will be no biggy. or if i can find some that orginate in hawaii/maui i will just get 5 or so huge snails. dose anyone have any idea for hawaiian clean up crew?
i want to keep hawaiian corals and some inverts. i want probably 2 short tenticaled plate corals, 2 long spined black urchins, 3-4 huge hawaiian feather dusters and some other soft and lps corals (any ideas?)
well i just want to if the will NIP OR EAT corals cause if they dont i will get them and if they do then i just wont have a reef.
nate