Hawaiian Fish

seahorse11

Does anyone know if we can bring tropical fish into the states from hawaii? I will be visiting hawaii and wanted to go to a LFS there and maybe bring back a couple of fish. Anyone ever done this or know if this is legal. Thanks.

wesa

I don't know the answer but if you contact Coral Fish Hawaii in Aiea they might be able to answer that question for all of us interested. There is so much going on in the industry over there plus new restrictions that have gone in effect . It might be that only your local LFS can get them imported.

27mtaylor

No, its not legal. When I went to Hawaii, while on the plane I had to fill out some sort of agricultural form saying I was not going to bring any plant, animal, etc into Hawaii and I had to sign one saying I would not take anything back from hawaii. I had the same thoughts as you did though. I wanted to bring somthing back for my tank.

seahorse11

I emailed Dept of Wildlife in hawaii. I will post the answer when they email me back. Maybe if I buy the fish there and let the fish store send it to me it will cut out the middle man ( online websites, etc).

fraggle_a

Id agree. Buy the fish there and have the store send it on to you.
Im sure theres a stilly law somewhere that could get you in trouble if you just bring a fish home without asking (or paying some kind of stupid federal tax)

fedowner

On Kauai I only saw one fish store and they didnt have too much. Seemed to me that you could just go diving and see all the fish you wanted.

tatoush

Funny enough...I was talking about this last night with my fiancee. We are going to Hawaii in June for our honeymoon and I was telling her how nice it would be to catch fish and send them via ups air to my house. Prob. illegal but kinda nice to think about eliminating the middleman.
Lev :jumping:

tommygun8

i dont think it is if u cach it and send it to your self.... like ups but ud have to have some one put it in ur tank becaues it would beat u home u know... that would be nice go diving and be like i like that one like at ur lfs lol but u have 100000 to pick from