Hawaiin Dragon Morays

rosco05

Can anybody give me any info on these? Are they as aggressive as tessys and green morays? I know they stay around 36" maximum and that they are mainly piscivores but that is about all. Also I would appreciate anyones personal experience with these fish and fish they have kept with them.
Thanks in advance for any help
Ross

hairtrigger

I believe these are deep water eels. Obvious location. If I am not mistaken they are also sickeningly expensive. Not worth it either in my opinion. But, I am pretty sure they are also some of the more passive eels when compared to green morays or tessys. Great choice if you like the laid-back thing. Very colorful and intricate. But, not worth the money given the potential risks with eels. They can always slip out of the tank, may not eat certain foods, etc. Personally I would go with something more fun. Good luck. :cool:

grouperhead

I am pretty sure they are also some of the more passive eels when compared to green morays or tessys.
Hawaiin dragon morays are up there with tessys and green morays. They do best in a species only tank. Bo

hairtrigger

Really? Wow. I wasn't sure of that, which is why I said believe. Two of the LFS' here keep them in large critter cages in the eel tank because they get beaten on by the other eels. That's good to know. Thanks for the correction grouper. Sorry for the mistake Rosco. :cool:

stacyt

I've seen these eels when diving in Hawaii. I watched one catch and eat a trigger. Lately the prices have come down considerably on them. My LFS owner has one, and he sells them retail for about $400. They are best kept by themselves. He has one in a 54 gallon tank, and the eel is currently about 20". They look really cool, and if you don't mind the pricetag, or the fact that it should be the only thing in the tank, then go for it. His eats just about everything from frozen shrimp, krill, and silversides.

I

irenicus

They are a really cool looking eel with a hefty price tag. To each their own though. Really pretty eel.

fshhub

most of the things you have asked, have been answered as best we can, but with a price tag like that, you are not likely gonna get too awfulmany real experience replies. It was not that long ago that they were well over a grand.

chris l

If I remember right there was one for sale not too long ago in the classifieds. You might want to do a search and ask the person who had it for sale.