hawk fish in a 20 gallon

anadliv

Could I do a flame hawk fish or a long nose hawk fish in a 20 gallo reef? THe tank is well established but is it big enough? I have also read they eat snails or small inverts, is that true? thanks for the info

sepulatian

Flames are one of the more aggressive hawks. I have a Falco, which is similar in nature to the longnose. They are quite tricky in terms of personality, and what they will or will not do. My hawk has sucked a crab right out of the shell in front of me, then spit it out. It was when I moved my tank and he had to go into a 20 QT. He wasn't happy about it. I had moved the rock and inverts ahead of time. He came out of a 55. He is back in the 55 and has taken to harassing my new serpent star when he dares to stretch his legs up the rock and move them. I would go for a longnose or a Falco for a 20. Be sure that any other fish or inverts are already in there. They tend not to bother things that are already there.

anadliv

I have a bright yellow damsel in the 20 gall right now, do you think it would be ok? Also i might get rid of the damsel, what would be a colorful ish that could go with a long nose hawkfish in a 20 gallon? and also how many ish can i put in a 20, i figure 2 or 3.

pnkflydlvr

i had a long nose hawkfish in a 35 gal hexagon tank. a really cool fish. he seemed fine as he mainly perched on the rock and didn't swim too much. unfortunately i lost him after a couple of years due to a heater malfunction

sepulatian

Originally Posted by anadliv
http:///forum/post/2683916
I have a bright yellow damsel in the 20 gall right now, do you think it would be ok? Also i might get rid of the damsel, what would be a colorful ish that could go with a long nose hawkfish in a 20 gallon? and also how many ish can i put in a 20, i figure 2 or 3.
You could get something like a midas blennie, yellow watchman, an ocellaris clown, something along those lines. Go for small fish that are not terribly territorial. The hawk can hold his own. I wouldn't add more that two other smaller fish. Add him last. Leave months between purchases. Your tank will need time to cope with the new bioload each time.

morval

check out geometric pygmy hawk there small enough for a 20g and not really big enough to do to much damage to a CUC
heres mine

stanlalee

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2683904
Flames are one of the more aggressive hawks.
actually its about 3rd most peaceful after long nose and lyretail. Falco about the same except size matters and falco's stay small. ALL those are boy scouts compared to just about every other hawkfish big and small.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2685563
actually its about 3rd most peaceful after long nose and lyretail. Falco about the same except size matters and falco's stay small. ALL those are boy scouts compared to just about every other hawkfish big and small.
Your right about that. I was referring to the ones mentioned, longnose and flame by the OP then falco by me. I should have been clearer.

anonome

Originally Posted by morval
http:///forum/post/2684065
check out geometric pygmy hawk there small enough for a 20g and not really big enough to do to much damage to a CUC
heres mine

How do they do with large...over 2 inches...ornamental shrimp? Sure is a beauty.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/2689844
Ok, will try this again....... anyone know how they do with ornamental shrimp?
any hawkfish has the potential of making your ornamental shrimp a snack. might leave em alone, might not. the smaller the hawkfish and the bigger the shrimp the better your chances.

anonome

Thanks, thats kind of what I thought, but was hoping for "an angel". But it seems like it is another wolf in sheep clothing. LOL. I'll probably pass on this one. Sure would be horrible to loose one of my fire shrimp, eventhough they are really big....almost 4 yrs old with me now.

morval

sorry i never got back to this thread

Geometric Pygmy Hawk

Rarely available to aquarium hobbyists, the Plectranthias inermis, or Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish is colorful and animated. Scientifically, it is a closer relative to Anthias and Groupers than Hawkfish, but is associated with Hawks because of its overall shape and behavior. It may be seen resting on and moving from perch to perch. There is a perceived benefit to its perching and swimming over corals as it is thought to help facilitate water movement among the coral heads. It may bother extremely small shrimp and snails, so it should be introduced to a reef aquarium with caution. It will typically tolerate other Hawkfish, but should be kept away from other large Hawkfish as the Geometric Pygmy Hawk only grows to about 2" in length. Because of its size, it is a perfect fish for Nano aquariums.
some sites say it may nip at corals but mine has not. it was also very reclusive for the first week or so but now can been seen poking its head out of nooks and crannies and is quite active close to lights out time and in the morning. i love mine as i was looking for a red fish that would not harm corals its pattern is great with a beautiful yellow dorsal spine thinggy. i also have 4 peppermint and a skunk cleaner shrimp he has not bothered at all.

nano reefer

flame hawks arent aggressive, they are territorial (similar, but different). adding one last to your tank would be okay. if you put it in first you will have problems.

mantisman51

If I may piggy back, I have a red spotted hawk with my hermits and coral banded shrimp. Are red spotted hawks nasty? Everything I read before hand said they were peaceful.