hawkfish

r6danger

will a hawkfish eat my hermits? my mom is giving me her hawkfish, but i wanna know if it will eat my hermits before i take it...i need an answer quick because she's giving it to me tomorrow

Hawkfish will eat some inverts like shrimp etc, I guess alot depends on the size of the hermits, and how well fed the hawkfish is, what I mean is if its hungry it might eat it,like anything else survival of the fitist....cya hope this helps

shel

I agree with fixit. If you don't feed them enough then need to get their food from somewhere. I have a flame hawk fish in my 125 with an assortment of crabs. (Hermit, big and small. Sally light foots, emerald crabs) They are all still alive. If I put ghost shrimp in, he is the first to catch and eat them. Hope this helps. :D
Shel

guppie

I also have a Flame Hawk in a 125 with many diferent types of crabs and he does not bother them. Just make sure he has enough to eat. Good Luck

moksha

Just make sure you don't plan on buying any cleaner shrimp. I had a well-fed flame hawk, and added a cleaner. They were ok for about a month, but then the hawk got way aggressive, so I took him back, the cleaner was too cool. I also found a dead sally-lightfoot, and I blame the hawk. Maybe in a bigger tank it would be ok, mine is 75 gallon.
good luck

pufferlover

Yes hawks will eat shrimp if they can catch them. I bought a 20 dollar flame shrimp and forgot I had a spotted hawk in the tank within 2 days the shrimp was toast and my fish get plenty to eat. They are very cool fish but they can take a number of inverts for dinner regardless of the inverts size.