heater busted!!??

salt phish

MY heater busted in my sump...300 watt marineland......have any heavy metals been released in my tank.......temp was down to 72 and sea urchin dead but dont know if these two things are related...

seasalt101

my heater in my sump broke about 2-3 weeks ago and the power light on the heater was still on so far i do not or have not seen any side fx went and bought another heater for it and i am planning o n getting another just for stand-by, it is a 300w heater running almost wide open i keep my tank at 80-81 degrees i believe i heard something that ich won't survive in a warmer tank if that is true i would love to get that verified from the experts on this forum thanks again tobin
:happyfish

lion_crazz

Hey Tobin, your tank would need to be above 86 degrees for the ich life cycle to be sped up.

salt phish, you should be perfectly fine. The urchin died from a low temp. If you are still worried, buy a bag of Chemi-Pure Elite. It is the new Chemi-Pure and it claims to remove heavy metals, along with a plethora of other harmful things.

seasalt101

thanks lion when i get out of the hospital i will take it down to 78 by the way this is my last chemo
so lion would you recomend a u.v sterilizer and if so would you still quarintine i'm thinking yes you would but if the u.v was added i would not have to worry about ich, or hlle is that correct? thanks tobin

lion_crazz

If you are still getting voltage, definitely run a grounding probe, ASAP.
Tobin, I am glad you are done with the treatments. A QT sterilizer does a decent job, but it does not take the place of a quarantine tank and will not prevent all ich and will not prevent HLLE at all. A UV sterilizer will probably prevent 25% of the ich in the tank/on the fish. For that reason, a QT is still essential.

seasalt101

thanks lion i just want to be as prepared as possible, i am looking to add another tang to the system, and for the qt i have it is only a 10 gal.and 6 weeks is along time for a tang in there but i think i am ahead of myself thinking ich when all for now it is a qt how long do you qt a fish after you purchase the fish, online or at the lfs thanks tobin

lion_crazz

I quarantine my fish for 4 weeks before adding them to the display. A 10 gallon is fine for four weeks. I have worked in LFS' where they have been in a 10 gallons for that long and they were perfectly fine.