Heater Exploded

robchuck

I hope my luck gets better soon. Last Sunday my (former) Rio 2500 return pump burnt up and tripped the GFCI in the process. OK, so this was my excuse to finally plumb in an external pump. The pump has worked flawless so far. Then tonight, I'm sitting on the couch watching TV with my wife, when we both see the reflections of a bright flash behind us, hear a loud "pop", and half of the appliances and lights are now out. I go over to the tank, and see the GFCI tripped, and I think to myself, "Oh no, the new pump's dead." But I happed to look in the sump and saw that my 300W heater was in two pieces with quite a few glass shards laying near it. The fish are all doing fine, and I've got a 150W backup heater in place until I can venture out tomorrow afternoon and pick up a replacement. I'm glad I was home when this all went down, and even more so, I'm glad that I use a GFCI on my system. This is the second time in the last week that it's saved my fishes lives.

trompet3

What is a GFCI?
I will take a stab at it though....ground fault circuit interrupter???
Don't even know if that makes sense...I'm the farthest thing from an electrician.

T

thomas712

RobChuck- might I respectfully recommend the Won Pro Heater. They have a titanium shaft, therefore they will not break, and the temp. control is at the plug and not on top of the heater, this makes it very convinent.
Thomas

T

thomas712

I have the 200 watt below: Due to the rules of the board I can not give you the answer here, but if you email me.
Although it doesn't happen often given the origianl posters problem with a glass heater the pro heat is a wise choice. You will need to watch for small children or pets that might turn your tem dial unintentionally.
birdsall12@chartermi.net
Won Brothers Pro Heat 200 Watt
PRO-HEAT
TITANIUM IC HEATER
Controlled by micro computer with high precision of ±1° F
Titanium heating tube
Fully submersible
Automatic protection device activates when sensor wiring is disconnected or shorted.
Double protection tube
Very durable & reliable
Safe & easy to operate
Aquarium IC thermostat uses IC to control the heater to adjust desired aquarium temperature
Operating temperature range: 60 F to 93 F
Ideal for SALTWATER & FRESHWATER
***Chemical resistance of titanium is very good service ( no effect-excellent) against sodium chloride(NaCl)-SALTWATER
***IC means integrated circuit
Thomas

T

thomas712

benihuma - slightly different concept there, the power strip will snap if there is an oversurge of power so that it will not blow or fry your equipment.
The pro heat can sence a short in the heater device itself and shut itself off so that it is not stuck in the on position and overheat your tank. (at least thats the way I take the information)
This way you don't blow the whole powerstrip and you keep your pumps going. This is also one reason why people will have two heaters in their tanks, so that if one frys the other will pick up the load, and neither heater is on for very long.
Incedently my external pump has the same concept where if it starts to overheat it will turn itself off and then back on when it cools down, I'd have to go back and reread the manual to be sure what exactly it does.
Thomas

robchuck

Thanks for the reply Thomas. I looked at various heaters and took your advice regarding the Pro-Heat. Actually, I went with a Pro Heat II; I liked the digital read-out. Hopefully I won't have to worry about any equipment frying in the near feature as everything electric in the tank is brand new (knock on wood).

joerdie

i have always used 2 lower watt heaters at the same time for this very reasion. if one breaks and wont turn on the tank can still get some heat. if one gets stuck on it isnt putting out as much heat.