Heater not keeping water temp up

J

jensfirefish

I'm having a problem with keeping my aquarium water temperature high enough. Luckily it's a brand new tank and has no fish in it, but I can't figure out why the temp won't go above 70 degrees. The tank is 29 gallons, and originally I had a 150 watt heater in it but the water stayed about 68 degrees. I went and got a 200 watt heater thinking the air conditioner in the house was the problem, but it still won't go above 70. Even though I started the tank out at about 76 degrees, the temperature just drops back down to 70. I turned the heater up all the way to 89 and it won't go warmer. The first heater was an Elite, but the 200 watt is a Marineland Stealth. I don't know if that matters, but I was told Elite was a bad brand. The aquarium isn't next to an outlet, so it's plugged into an extension cord, could that be a problem?
I'm stumped. I have a smaller 8 gallon aquarium in the room that is fine, but this new one won't stay warm enough. Any advice or solutions would be appreciated.

flower

Originally Posted by forsfed50
http:///forum/post/3084240
she may be right. if youre using the same thermometer try a differerent
one.
+1
You could get MH lighting...that will heat things up. It did mine. Just kidding.