heater size?

drew2005

What are your opinions? One 300w or two 150w? 75 gallon tank with about 20 gallon sump. I prefer not to have one heater in my display.

drew2005

Two 150's will cost you more but it's a lot safer that way.
Cost really isnt an issue. :) however placement of them is. Could i put both on my sump? Maybe at opposite ends. One where the drain is and one where the return is? I really wanna avoid as much equipment in the main display as i can.

fixpc

they can be right next to each other in a sump. you would want 2 because if one fails you still have one working.
Average Room Temp = 68 degrees F
Desired Water Temp = 78 degrees F
-----------------------------------------
Heating required = 10 degrees F
Tank Size = 75 gallon
Heater size needed = 300 watts i would use one 150 and one 200
Average Room Temp = 65 degrees F
Heating required = 13 degrees F
Tank Size = 75 gallon
Heater size needed = 350 watts i would use two 200

btldreef

I have two 250 watts on my 180 (total water volume is 265G). I run LED's so that keeps the heat down, as well as having Ecotech Vortech powerheads and my fish room is not heated. I keep my house at 66-68F and my tank is 78F.

drew2005

they can be right next to each other in a sump. you would want 2 because if one fails you still have one working.
Average Room Temp = 68 degrees F
Heating required = 10 degrees F
Tank Size = 75 gallon
Heater size needed = 300  watts i would use one 150 and one 200

Average Room Temp = 65 degrees F
Heating required = 13 degrees F
Tank Size = 75 gallon
Heater size needed = 350 watts i would use two 200
Thanks! That helped. My average room temp is about 70. Ill go with 2 150 heaters to be safe. I will have powerheads that will produce some heat plus 2 pumps in the sump. One mag 9.5 and a mag 7.

drew2005

I have two 250 watts on my 180 (total water volume is 265G). I run LED's so that keeps the heat down, as well as having Ecotech Vortech powerheads and my fish room is not heated. I keep my house at 66-68F and my tank is 78F.
What led's are you running? Im close to ordering the maxspect p series.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2005 http:///t/390417/heater-size#post_3457402
Nice! I wish i had the time for projects like that. Any pics?
They're in my build thread. It's not that time consuming to be completely honest and the cost is SOOOOOOOO much better than buying a premade unit. You also have a lot more control. It just depends on whether or not you think you can do it, etc.