Heaters w/ MH

fishgirl

Do ya need a heater with MH lights since they're so hot, or would the fans be so good they would make it TOO cold for tropicals? Or are there cooling stuff? help!?

clayton

You would have no control over the temp. Heaters have thermostats built in to stop the temp going too low.

mr . salty

The fans dont cool the water, only blow away the heat made by the bulbs.I would/will use a heater during cooler months....STEVE

reptilicus

Fishgirl,
fans actually do cool the water, a great deal in fact, often by 7-8 degrees if you have them working properly. The work by evaporative cooling, much the same way as sweating cools down a person. If your tank gets too hot, put a few fans on and you should contol it fine, maybe a 6" fan at either end of the hood (one to suck air in and one to suck it out) and one over the sump would keep the tank sufficiently cool. However, the only drawback is that you increase evaporation (which, if you dose Kalkwasser like me, is a good thing because it means you can increase calcium levels easily).
I know a guy who lives in SF who has a 55-gallon reef (a very beautiful one at that), with 2x400-watt MH's plus VHO actinic supplement.He has a chiller on his tank which he has never used, because the fans do such a great job of keeping his water temperature right. I've got 400-watt MH's over my tank and I only use fans to cool my tank, no problems.
HTH,
Tom