hellllllllpppp

drrlltmpln

ok so here goes. (sigh) we set up our first sw tank a few months ago. 55g with a floval filter, protien skimmer, live sand and so far 2 live rocks (homer and coco) yes we named the rocks. the fishes have names too lol. we started out with 3 damsels, a clown 3 astro snails and 4 hermit crabs and a coral banded shrimp. well,,,now my tank looks like sh.t. there is alge everywhere on sand walls etc. and homer has turned black. not sure if thats a good thing or not. i also have this pretty purple algea along with the green.we were so excited, we thought wow the rock is growing something!
the guy at the lfs said its cyano. so i got the treatment for it, but we just got in some stock we ordered from swf.com (nano cleaner crew) so hubby doesnt want to do the treatment for a few days so the stock can acclimate. so should i wait a few days or treat right away? im learning a lot from this forum. just read lions 101 tips. should have read them sooner lol. just found out i now need powerheads. no telling what else i need. any ideas or info is appreciated

geridoc

Originally Posted by drrlltmpln
http:///forum/post/3138203
ok so here goes. (sigh) we set up our first sw tank a few months ago. 55g with a floval filter, protien skimmer, live sand and so far 2 live rocks (homer and coco) yes we named the rocks. the fishes have names too lol. we started out with 3 damsels, a clown 3 astro snails and 4 hermit crabs and a coral banded shrimp. well,,,now my tank looks like sh.t. there is alge everywhere on sand walls etc. and homer has turned black. not sure if thats a good thing or not. i also have this pretty purple algea along with the green.we were so excited, we thought wow the rock is growing something!
the guy at the lfs said its cyano. so i got the treatment for it, but we just got in some stock we ordered from swf.com (nano cleaner crew) so hubby doesnt want to do the treatment for a few days so the stock can acclimate. so should i wait a few days or treat right away? im learning a lot from this forum. just read lions 101 tips. should have read them sooner lol. just found out i now need powerheads. no telling what else i need. any ideas or info is appreciated

I have used cyano antibiotics in the past - they do work as a short term fix, but the presence of cyano tells you that there is something else going on in the tank, and you must fix that or the cyano will just keep coming back, along with algae. First - what are your tank parameters? From the sound of it, it sounds like you have too much biomaterial in the tank - probably not fish, but too much fish waste and food, usually from overfeeding. Limit your feeding, keep skimming, make regular water changes (maybe 20% weekly until the tank settles down), and keep water movement going in areas where the cyano is thriving (glad you found out about powerheads, now get a couple of them). Be patient and the cyano will disappear. That's the good news! The bad news is that something else will almost surely happen because all new tanks go through a series of changes as the cycle, mature and finally settle down.

drrlltmpln

my son tested this morning while i was at work and everything must have tested ok bc he never called me back. i plan to test every day till we get rid of the problem. gotta move homer and coco around though bc i didnt know you werent sposed to put LR on the live sand. we lost a damsel last week the day after son scraped the algea of the sides of the tank put some prime in it and water change and havent lost anything else yet. i can see now that the algea is growing more where there is low water flow. im pretty new at this. guess that old saying is true the more you learn the less you know.!

xcali1985

I would slow down first. You noted that you have only first installed the CUC after the problems started. Sounds like you are going through the natural cycle of new tanks but you didn't have a containment aka CUC. With nothing eating the algae it just grew and grew.
First step observe the CUC sounds like they have plenty of food to eat. If they are having trouble add a few more. 3 x Emerald crabs are great for this and are completely reef safe. Get 3 Mexican Turbos (1 per 20 gallons) and most of your glass algae will be a thing of the past. Worked for me.
You stated you bought the CUC from here so you should be fine in a little while. Do the 20% WC with RODI water and a high grade saltmix.
Over the next 3-4 weeks you should notice a decrease in your algae. Just don't go to drastic and add things into your tank. The correct CUC can accomplish the same result and sustain it.
Now on to the bad news, your probably loaded in nitrates and phosphates which need to be removed. If you can install a refuge with a HOB overflow box. There are HOB fuges also. But this will allow you to use macro algae that can use up the minerals that nusiance algae use to grow.
PM me if you need any help or quick responses.

monalisa

It's also my understanding that properly aimed power heads (which it sounds like you haven't had) will help considerably with the cyano. I would go that route rather than adding chemicals to the tank. Go slowly and things will happen.

Lisa

flower

Welcome!
You need alot more rock than just 2 pieces....Get rid of the damsels. They will kill all the other fish in the tank, and limit you on what you can keep in the future.
Get them out now before you add the very much needed more rock. Damsels will bite your hand and make it bleed when you try and put your hand in the tank when they mature.
So get the power heads and rock...when the brown algae appears get hermit crabs...do those water tests and water changes.
Are you going for fish only or do you intend to have corals?

drrlltmpln

we have about 13 turbo snails, 5 nessarius snails, 13 hermit crab, 2cleaner clams, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a scooter blenny. is that enough or should get get more? they are so tiny and there is so much to be cleaned up. we just bought new t5 lighting to put on the tank. we had coralife flourescent that we bought used from lfs and it only worked when it wanted to. so much for 200 bucks. we want to have corals and anenomes but that is much later.
we are going to get more live rock but we are having to go one step at a time. why is my blue hippo tang banging herself on the rocks repeatedly? is that normal? its like she is trying to scratch herself or something.

flower

Originally Posted by drrlltmpln
http:///forum/post/3138671
we have about 13 turbo snails, 5 nessarius snails, 13 hermit crab, 2cleaner clams, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a scooter blenny. is that enough or should get get more? they are so tiny and there is so much to be cleaned up. we just bought new t5 lighting to put on the tank. we had coralife flourescent that we bought used from lfs and it only worked when it wanted to. so much for 200 bucks. we want to have corals and anenomes but that is much later.
we are going to get more live rock but we are having to go one step at a time. why is my blue hippo tang banging herself on the rocks repeatedly? is that normal? its like she is trying to scratch herself or something.

The tang is stressed, it may develop ich if it is in the system. Feed your fish a small chunk of shrimp, soaked in fresh garlic juice and up your temp to 82/84...this will help build the fish's immunity to fight off disease.
The rock serves as a natural filter...it isn't decoration..it looks nice but that isn't its function. get more rock and power heads ASAP.