Hello, 1st post, Some pics of my 72 bow

beazalbob69

Hello everybody I am new here and I thought I would share some pice of my 72 gallon bowfront. I hope you enjoy!
1st here is a picture that shows when I started out about a year ago.

and here it is now!

more to come!

beazalbob69

Here are a few more!

here is a sponge that has been growing for awile

What do you think? It is still a work in progress.

bonkuba

What lighting do you use and do you use the canopy? I have an 90 gal bow and am looking to go to MH with the original canopy.

redsea

AWESOME TANK AND WELCOME TO SALTWATERFISH.COM!!!!!!! nICE PICS, I LIKE YOUR YELLOW TANG, YOU GOT A GREAT PIC OF THE HERMIT CRAB, ONCE AGAIN..................... WELCOME!!!

beazalbob69

Originally Posted by bonkuba
http:///forum/post/2937896
What lighting do you use and do you use the canopy? I have an 90 gal bow and am looking to go to MH with the original canopy.
I built a custom canopy and I have 2 175 watt MH. I will try to post some pics for you.

beazalbob69

Originally Posted by Jimmy 4
http:///forum/post/2940402
how much did it cost you to build your own lighting? Ive always wanted to make my own MH setup.
Sorry took awile to answer. But I dont really know total cost. I guess roughly 300$ total mabey a little less. It was not that much but it was a lot of work. Took a few weeks to get it all together.

nystyle182

can u please tell me what your pumps and filters are? we got the same tank it maybe easier for me to copy yours, if you dont mind yours is beautiful.............. so can you break it down to me thanks ,,,,,, im new to it now.... im cycking a 75 bow as we speak in week end of week 1. im also curing 75 lbs of live figi rock as well............. so help thanks

beazalbob69

Well right now I have a sump with some bioballs with a tray above them for some foam filter material. As long as you keep the foam clean and dont let any organic stuff get to the bioballs they work fine. I also have a homemade refuge under the tank. Made it out of a small plastic trashcan. It has a deep sandbed of clay topped off with live sand and a bunch of calupera. It does an OK job of controlling nitrates but I am in the process of building a turf algae scrubber to replace the refuge. I also dont run a protein skimmer! I havent had any problems and I am starting to question the need for one at all. I will try to post some pics of my filtration system asap.
Any other questions feel free to ask

Is that the larger Strawberry Hermit?
I used to have one until he flipped over one of my urchins and ate his guts! Took him back to the store after that. Too bad though, he really mixed up the sand.

beazalbob69

I am not sure what kind of hermit he is. I found him in Sarasota bay while I was fishing
Living in Florida has some advantages. If I want pods to stock my refuge I can get a million of them in a few minutes. All the cleaner snails and small hermits you could ever want also.