Hello again!!! I have a ?

shinobi9119

Wowo I haven't been here in sooooo long. My computer is broken so I haven't been on the Internet much at all.
I have a question, I am loooking to do an independent study for a class next year. I would like to do one on something saltwater related since that is a primary career choice of mine. Any suggestions Ion what I should do a study on???

socalnano24

How about the effect of moonlighting on a marine aquarium..... Set up a couple of small control tanks and have some with a moon cycle and some without. See if there is a discernible difference.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by SocalNano24
http:///forum/post/3064570
How about the effect of moonlighting on a marine aquarium..... Set up a couple of small control tanks and have some with a moon cycle and some without. See if there is a discernible difference.
I like this one. I would actually be curious to know what your results would be. The only problem is this could get a little expensive.

shinobi9119

I like that idea, but what type of coral and such wud I use???
Edit: I gotta make a proposal for my study, so are there any other mysteries, or un-looked into controversies in this hobby or marine life in general?

socalnano24

To elaborate, I thought more about the concept. Instead of doing multiple tanks, itd be best to have one big tank with opaque dividers side by side running full height, with slits at the bottom for water flow (but minimal light transfer{similar to an intank sump compartment})to split up a long ractangular tank. So you could completely ensure the same parameters for heat, ph, salinity etc. and have the moonlighting cycle be the only variable.
In terms of what coral or fish. I'd recomend dong it with coral such as palys (they grow really fast) and or shrimp(possibly brine). Get something that multiples fast in good conditions, and see which tank has the most of a specific organism after the end of the study.

alix2.0

brine shrimp would be small enough to go into any of the compartments though.
what about the effect of crushed coral vs. aragonite on tank parameters?