Hello fellow Rhode Islanders

coastie55g

hey guys, just curious to which of you i might have seen or talked to at sea creature in north providence... and/or to see how many fellow salt water guys are around the area..
:jumping:
chris

nw2sltfsh

Hi there -
While I dont live in RI - I do live in New Bedford MA - which as you know practically makes us neighbors -
My Husband and I turned our Freshwater tank into a Saltwater tank about 2.5 months ago. This happened tragically after he went to India for work for a month and I decided to pack the kids up and go visit my family in PA and have him fly into Pittsburgh instead of Boston during the DNC. I had my friend come in to feed the Fish, Frogs, hamster and Cat. She sadly did not notice that one of the fish died. the tank was a 110 gallon freshwater tank with about $1,000 worth of prize winning Blood parrots and King Kong parrots. I came home to fish soup- not a good thing July in NE all windows closed no AC and a tank full of Dead fish!

My hubby was devestasted to say the least - I kept tellin him your tank is doing great!! Little did I know -
Anyhow to the point since we changed to SW I have been looking for all local LFS - (Local meaning less then 2 hours away) Where is Sea Creatures and How do I get there from New Bedford? And what is your name so I can say HI next weekend when I go there to check it out?
Thanks -
Corrine

coastie55g

im chris..
sea creature i know where it is.. not sure on the exact address.. went there with a friend.. look it up on yahoo yellow pages.. i usuallly go every thursday after 7 ish cause thats when he gets in all his new coral / fish.. and they are very helpful even the guys that just stand around and talk about fish.. i want that job..

nw2sltfsh

The Husband and I decided to take a half day off of work on Monday and go on a road trip to RI (actually more of a casual drive - its no that far) to find 2 stores we jsut heard about in RI
we tried the Fish bowl - still havent found it -
and Sea Creatures - sadly it was Monday and they were closed.
I think we need to start a movement to get LFS in all areas to make their store signs larger so those people who are looking for new places to go can find them and not drive aimlessly around -- Map quest wasnt helpful at all!
so after wasting a day off since we were in RI anyhow we went to the RI aquarium - they were pretty much bought out of anything good.
after that we stopped at the ***** up the street. There is a kid that works there that has several saltwater fish of his own and is doing an awsome job taking care of those fish. We had a great chat
so now it is time for me to attempt to go to sea creatures when they are actually open!
thanks for the tip

jkvjl

Man you were that close you could have gone to Rumford Pet center in East Providence just off 195 and there's another really nice store just up the street in Seekonk near the speedway on RT6

nw2sltfsh

I did go to that one - actually have been there several times and they are a very good store. there is a gentelman that works there I dont know his name but he told me his passion is SW fish and Reefs he spent about an hour talking to me at the end of my cycle.
He ended up helping that store make alot of money that day!
PS - I also sadly got pulled over on Monday going to Rumsford - that teeny tiny itsy bitsy sigh saying no left turn between 4-6 pm! who knew! the kid in the back saying Mommy is going to jail - and the hubby just looking at me! needless to say money n that trip was put to different use!

nw2sltfsh

there's another really nice store just up the street in Seekonk near the speedway on RT6
Is that the Coral Reef that you are referring to - right next to Wild Birds unlimited? Nice store great prices on Rock but I have a FOWLR agressive tank so the livestock would be lunch in my tank.
But the LR prices are the lowest I have found from Taunton to CT!

coastie55g

where is this place you speak of.. might have to check it out..
i missed sea creature many times when i went to there my self.. hes closed monday and sunday.. stays open late on thursday like ten .. or untill everybody is done looking at his new stock he jsut got in.. the store is a little small.. but he knows a ton..:jumping: fish bowl sucks in my opinion.. went theree a few times.. terrible algea in the tanks.. piss poor service.. was waiting twenty minutes and still nobody even said hello to me..
which is un kool in my book.. and the guy had dead fish floating in all his tanks.. i was very displeased with it.. but to get there.. if i remember right you have to turn at the light where chucky cheeses is and that wendys.. on route two by the RI mall.. follow that around go over a bridge.. and then the next light turn left.. and its in a building on your left.. just before you start to follwo the road to the right.. and i think it also beganns to go up a hill by that place as well. hope that kinda helps... again only been there once.. hope that helps if any...

nw2sltfsh

if you are referring to The Coral Reef - my personal suggestion for finding it is to go to Mapquest get driving directions then Line your bird cage or whatever with them! the Best way to find the coral reef is to take 95 to exit Take the RT-136 exit, exit number 2, towards WARREN R.I./NEWPORT R.I..Keep LEFT at the fork in the ramp. turn onto Right Rt 6 - Drive SLOW until you see a sign for Wild Birds Unlimted --- The Coral Reef is right next door -- It is about 5 Miles down from your turn onto Rt 6
By the way Made it to Sea Creatues on Saturday -- Now that is a store well worth the trip -- Great prices -- very knowledgable and Nice Inventory -- A very good store for all type of tanks weather it is FOWLR or Reed set ups - I heard (rumor through a kid that works at ***** in Providence) that if you go to sea creatures Thursday nights the prices are better if you are looking for htings he jsut got in

coastie55g

that is correct.. usually not when you first show up.. but when you become kinda like a regular visitor.. i checked out rumford pet center today.. not bad.. nice tanks.. checked out coral reef.. nice takes.. i guess hes in the middle of rearranging... but man.. that lagooon is awesome. and the pet squarel is a classic touch.. bought a yellow headed jawfish from him.. thou his prices seem a little high... :thinking:

nikkoli110

Hi I'm a Rhode Islanda! hehe...my recomendation is Rumford Pet Center for anyone, such clean tanks, awesome reef tanks, and very very helpful people there....Oh and this is off topic, but I guess thats what this board is for, but I was wondering if anyone watched the show on the SciFi Channel, (Not a usual watcher of this channel), but there was a show called Ghost Hunters, and its actually 2 guys from Roto Rooter of RI, (my BF works for them and we know the guys) but it's premier was on tonight, 10/6, really cool show about disproving, (or proving) hauntings all over the country. I thought when I first heard of it that it sounded a little far fetched, but it acually gave me chills watching the show, but anyways they live in RI, and it was just cool to see them doing it and kind of showing our little RI off.... :eek:) .....

nikkoli110

Originally posted by coastie55g
where is this place you speak of.. might have to check it out..
fish bowl sucks in my opinion.. went theree a few times.. terrible algea in the tanks.. piss poor service.. was waiting twenty minutes and still nobody even said hello to me..
which is un kool in my book.. and the guy had dead fish floating in all his tanks.. i was very displeased with it

DUDE!!!! same thing I said when I went there, and then got into and argument with some kid on this website about it, it was nasty, dead fish that looked like they had been in there for days, and the people stunk there. They also had a snake that was half dead my friend was looking at, but they said it was fine. And the guy on this board said to me "well thats the first thing people say when they go somewhere, look at all the dead fish, instead of look at all the live fish" and i was like, yea I was sure surprised that fish could live in that nasty tank, so maybe I should have said WOW LOOK AT ALL THE LIVE FISH! haha....anyways....:mad: Rumford is def the best place I have been to, but I would like to check out some more, esp since its a pain to get to Rumford on 195, any other places around?? :happyfish

coastie55g

sea creature.. in north providence,... on mineral springs rd..
is a nice place rumford is a pain in the ass and coral reef is nice too.... just down the road from rumford.. hes closed sundays and mondays.. but open till ten on thursdays. which that is the day...
and i was watching that thread about the fish bowl..
thats all i can say about that....

nikkoli110

:mad: yea I was getting pretty heated about that place, esp since the kid was trying to compare the two, its kind of impossible to compare rumford to the fish bowl. Could you or anyone else tell me if you know the cheapest place to get lights around here? I am contemplating on wether or not to just keep a fish-only tank or dive into reef tanks, but the prices on lighting is pretty high for me. I need a 30 inch strip, and I was looking at the aqualite ones or whatever they are, but they were $200 at Rumford. I guess I'm not going to find anything cheaper, but if you guys know anything please let me know. Thanks!!! By the way, isn't this the best time to be in RI, I just abosolutely love this weather, and the drive on 95 is so much nicer with the trees all in full color like that. :)

coastie55g

as far as your lights im not sure i bought mine long time ago in michigan.. i love driving in RI now cause all the idiots are gone now..i mean tourons...i mean tourists...

it getting a little nippy at the house which is right on point judith pond.. turned the furnace on the other day.. :eek:
back to thelights.. try ----.. i have PC's that arein need of new bulbs.. but holding off fora little bit.. have to buy a darn return pump for my tidepool 1.. :nervous: