Hello

elmer fudd

Just thought I would introduce myself. This message board has been of great help to me in setting up my new hobby. Thank you all for the great information. I have had my tank set up for 1 week and 2 days. Yesterday my tank fully cycled which I thought was rather fast.
My aquarium information is as follows: (FOWLR)
29 gallon with black custom stand. (already wish I went bigger, oh well)
Eclipse 3 Filtration system (hope this suffices for now?).
Marineland 100W stealth heater.
10 lbs cured live rock.
Live sand substrate
I plan on waiting a few weeks to make sure everything is kosher in the tank before adding livestock. I have a few "hitchhikers" to contend with first anyway(Aiptasia and a teddy bear crab).
I was told at the LFS I would probably not need a Protein Skimmer with my small aquarium. Is this a correct assumption?
Look forward to learning a lot more about this fascinating hobby from you all.

sign guy

welcome to the boards. your correct in waiting a cupple more weeks in case of a second spike. as far as the skimmer goes Id still get one the can help alot pluss my experiance with eclipse is not been great. one other thing (strictly opinion) is to add another 20lb's of LR It is an exelant bio filter and it will ofer your fish alot of helpful hiding places. again welcome to swf.com

turningtim

Welcome to the boards Elmer, nice to see a fellow CO'n in the mix. Seems like you've done your homework and nice job. I also will say to add some LR and a skimmer can do nothing but help.
What LFS have you been to? You in the Denver Metro?
Tim

elmer fudd

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Welcome to the boards Elmer, nice to see a fellow CO'n in the mix. Seems like you've done your homework and nice job. I also will say to add some LR and a skimmer can do nothing but help.
What LFS have you been to? You in the Denver Metro?
Tim
Hi Tim,
Grew up in Littleton but now live in SE Denver. Owned a home in Parker at one point. As far as LFS's go, I started at Todd's Tropical Fish. They were very helpful but I am a little leary of their fish. Many sick and a few dying. Then I went to Premier on Wadsworth. They have a very nice set up there. And last, I went to The Great Barrier Reef. Very nice tanks there and a lot of Saltwater fish to look at. I was licking my chops. lol

turningtim

I work at GBR. I don't do the store but install some of his custom tanks P/T. A few of the corals in there are mine or were mine at one point. Chad (the owner) is a great guy and will help a bunch. He also has the best prices in town.
I also go to Neptunes down on Uni and 470. Mgr is kinda snooty but Sharon the owner is very cool and they have some nice stuff. A bit pricey but they haven't done me wrong in 3+ years.
Again, welcome to the boards and very cool to have you here in CO. Need anything don't hesitate to PM me. If can help you out!
Later
Tim
Golf Pro! I think we need to talk! Barter perhaps! (read your profile)

elmer fudd

Originally Posted by TurningTim
I work at GBR. I don't do the store but install some of his custom tanks P/T. A few of the corals in there are mine or were mine at one point. Chad (the owner) is a great guy and will help a bunch. He also has the best prices in town.
I also go to Neptunes down on Uni and 470. Mgr is kinda snooty but Sharon the owner is very cool and they have some nice stuff. A bit pricey but they haven't done me wrong in 3+ years.
Again, welcome to the boards and very cool to have you here in CO. Need anything don't hesitate to PM me. If can help you out!
Later
Tim
Golf Pro! I think we need to talk! Barter perhaps! (read your profile)

I really like GBR. Lot of good looking tanks in there! Nice job.
I can certainly barter with golf lessons. Let's talk about that sometime.
I bought some Joe's juice yesterday and killed the glass anemone. I guess I was a bit surprised it worked. I then tryed the drinking glass trick with the crab with no luck yet. It is getting to be fairly good sized so I am panicking a little on trying to get him outta there. Short of taking the LR that he lives in out of the tank for a FW dip, I don't know what else to try??
Thanks for all the advice. It is well received.

petjunkie

For the crab if you know what rock he is in you could submerge it in high salinity water 1.035 and see if he comes out, or the other option is smash the rock to bits but you will want him out. Did you try the pop bottle traps yet?

elmer fudd

Hi Petjunkie.
Haven't tryed a pop bottle yet. What is best food wise to entice it? I tryed a piece of flake in the glass. Is that ok or do I need a small piece of shrimp?

joebob7

hello and welcome to the forums
im glad that you looked at past threads before asking questions
lots of new poeple ask so many questions that could be answered if they looked in the archives
for the aiptasia
i used boiling water in a syringe

turningtim

Originally Posted by petjunkie
For the crab if you know what rock he is in you could submerge it in high salinity water 1.035 and see if he comes out, or the other option is smash the rock to bits but you will want him out. Did you try the pop bottle traps yet?
Agreed, I would try the bottle trap and put something (like shrimp) that the critter doesn't get to eat all that often.....

turningtim

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
Here is a picture of the little bugger. Had to do a fresh dip to get him out.
Nicely done!

yogoshio

In terms of the aiptasia, just grab a peppermint shrimp or two since your tank is fully cycled. they clean up that stuff in a huge hurry. Two lfs use them in their lr tanks just to make sure they're not in what they sell around my area.