Hello

marysantos

I'm going to look into it! It would be really nice to have corals... but I'm afraid I might kill them due to lack of knowledge. But as you said, in the future would be really nice. I haven't been able to leave the house today to get more equipment, we're having an ice storm, but I'm praying for sun tomorrow! (or at the least no blizzard)
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/383634/hello#post_3356728
Look into
AquaticLife 36 inch T5 HO Light Fixture you should be able to get it for under $400 and it is suitable for corals which IMO you will grow to want in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/thread/383634/hello#post_3356733
Standard 30 gallon tank is 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 16 3/4
A good 36" light that would allow future addition of just about any coral (even though now you are thinking only fish) would be

ATI 36 Inch 4x39W SunPower T5HO High-Output Fixture around $370.00.

If you plan to have sand in the tank purchase dry aragonite. Rinse it well in a bucket with a garden hose outside so that the pressure is enough to stir the sand in the bucket but not cause it to rise in the water column, and let the water and gunk overflow the bucket and out onto the grass, snow etc.Then empty the bucket of water doing the best you can not to dump out sand also.
I am thinking that my friend Joe is suggesting to you dry base rock with the addition of a cocktail shrimp as a preferred method in your case to help to avoid any unwanted pests - algae in that tank. I can see his thinking there and agree. When the tank is cycled you could then add some smaller choice pieces of fully cycled rock to introduce some fauna and coralline algae.
I am guessing you are not having the tank drilled for an additional sumprefugium to hold equipment, filtering media, and to provide flow so for additional filtering capability, and you will need it if you are considering an eel of lionfish, then you should be looking into a HOB (hang on back) filter to start out with. For a 30 gallon I would suggest an Aquaclear 110 around $100 to start with. This would also allow you to create a refugium down the road if you wanted to tackle that project later but would give you a good mechanical filter and also some some chemical filtration available right out of the box. (You can discuss a skimmer for the tank later when you start to add dirty, poopy fish)
I would suggest an Ebo Jager 125 watt heater at around $30.00
For water movement inside the tank I suggest a Korallia #2 at 600 GPH. This would give you around 20 times water flow in tank (30 gallons x 20 times flow = 600 gallons per hour) a good amount when coupled with the flow from the HOB filter for future coral additions. Around $25
A good start up test kit that most folks begin with would be the API Saltwater Master Test Kit at around $25
Those things mentioned would be a good start for the beginner with a 30 gallon tank in mind IMO.
Let's see what others have to input here as well.
Welcome to SWF. Keep asking questions here, be wary of advice from your local fish store as they are out to SELL things. When you get suggestions from them take the time to run their answers by the group here before committing to a purchase.
I have 2 100 watt heaters. I hope that's good. The power heads that I do have are 295 GPH each. If they don't do well I'll get the Korallia #2.

Okay, It was a little overwhelming at first, but I get it. My question here is, if the rock is uncured how would I go about curing it while performing the cycling? I was thinking Fiji live rock. 50 pounds??? I hope that wouldn't be too much. I want efficient space for the fish.
Also would it be a good idea to set up a tank for copepods? I want to get a Green Mandarin Dragonet, my husband might be happy with that.
Thank you for all the suggestions and information. I've written everything down in a Journal so I can have it on hand when I go shop.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySantos http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356753
I'm going to look into it! It would be really nice to have corals... but I'm afraid I might kill them due to lack of knowledge. But as you said, in the future would be really nice. I haven't been able to leave the house today to get more equipment, we're having an ice storm, but I'm praying for sun tomorrow! (or at the least no blizzard)
Excellent beginers coral are Zoanthids or some Pulsing Xenia. Cant really kill them.

I have 2 100 watt heaters. I hope that's good. The power heads that I do have are 295 GPH each. If they don't do well I'll get the Korallia #2.

Okay, It was a little overwhelming at first, but I get it. My question here is, if the rock is uncured how would I go about curing it while performing the cycling? I was thinking Fiji live rock. 50 pounds??? I hope that wouldn't be too much. I want efficient space for the fish.
Also would it be a good idea to set up a tank for copepods? I want to get a Green Mandarin Dragonet, my husband might be happy with that.
Thank you for all the suggestions and information. I've written everything down in a Journal so I can have it on hand when I go shop.

Heaters seem fine to me, if you have the space for 2 of them.
Uncured rock will "cure" in the tank during the cycle. It just means that your cycle will take longer is all. 50 pounds would be fine for the tank. It would be better if you could pick out your pieces so you can get the shapes and sizes you want. Do you have a LFS (Local Fish Store) near you that sells live rock?
Mandarins are fishy fish. Yea they eat copepods. Yea you need a ton of copepods. Yea copepods need a safe place to breed and eventually become food for the mandarin. A sump would solve that issue as long as there was food in it for the copepods to eat. It is best to wait atleast 6 months, but better to wait a year, before adding the mandarin. Since they eat copepods, thousands a day, its best that we ensure there is food for the fish to eat. Some have had success with ORA mandarins eating frozen/prepared foods. Those tend to be more expensive. I am planning on a mandarin and I am waiting until the tank is 1 year old before I get one. I have a sump and I have copepods in the sump now. I know that I do not have enough to feed a mandarin but I will be supplimenting the population as well. I also plan to get an ORA mandarin in the hopes that it will eat frozen.
I started a journal of sorts with my tank too. It has been a long while since I made an entry. Then again, I am a lazy man and I am not that suprised that I stopped making entries.

spanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySantos http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356753
I have 2 100 watt heaters. I hope that's good. The power heads that I do have are 295 GPH each. If they don't do well I'll get the Korallia #2.Yes that will do but will take up extra space, can be hid by strategically place rocks though.

Okay, It was a little overwhelming at first, but I get it. My question here is, if the rock is uncured how would I go about curing it while performing the cycling? I was thinking Fiji live rock. 50 pounds??? I hope that wouldn't be too much. I want efficient space for the fish. You have two options. Cycle the rocks in the tank, now moving them around and you get the benefit of the fauna to populate the sandbed while cycling. Or cycle the rock outside of the tank in a container like a tupperware or something of that sort. Have to treat it just like cycling a tank in this case, need heater and pump for circulation and to do water changes as the cycle completes. Rock in either case may need some cleaning up, scrubbing with like a toothbrush to get deaddecayed materials off of it.
Also would it be a good idea to set up a tank for copepods? I want to get a Green Mandarin Dragonet, my husband might be happy with that. You will probably have trouble keeping a Mandarin alive without the additional copepod population so yes if you want to cultivate them a separate tank would be a good solution.

florida joe

just for you lois
Weather for Naples, FL
80°F | °C
Current: Partly Cloudy
Wind: S at 14 mph
Humidity: 59%
Tue
Partly Cloudy
81°F | 62°F
Wed
Partly Cloudy
80°F | 60°F

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356769
just for you lois
Weather for Naples, FL
80°F | °C
Tue
Partly Cloudy
81°F | 62°F
Wed
Partly Cloudy
80°F | 60°F
Oh shut up.....it's 21 here....LOL...HEY HENRY.....what's it like in your neck of the woods? Storm hit yet???
SORRY MARY....we tend to do this once in a while.....that is part of the "family" feeling here ....

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356757
Excellent beginers coral are Zoanthids or some Pulsing Xenia. Cant really kill them. ~I hope I won't be able to. :)
Uncured rock will "cure" in the tank during the cycle. It just means that your cycle will take longer is all. 50 pounds would be fine for the tank. It would be better if you could pick out your pieces so you can get the shapes and sizes you want. Do you have a LFS (Local Fish Store) near you that sells live rock?
Mandarins are fishy fish. Yea they eat copepods. Yea you need a ton of copepods. Yea copepods need a safe place to breed and eventually become food for the mandarin. A sump would solve that issue as long as there was food in it for the copepods to eat. It is best to wait atleast 6 months, but better to wait a year, before adding the mandarin. Since they eat copepods, thousands a day, its best that we ensure there is food for the fish to eat. Some have had success with ORA mandarins eating frozen/prepared foods. Those tend to be more expensive. I am planning on a mandarin and I am waiting until the tank is 1 year old before I get one. I have a sump and I have copepods in the sump now. I know that I do not have enough to feed a mandarin but I will be supplimenting the population as well. I also plan to get an ORA mandarin in the hopes that it will eat frozen. ~Where would I get said ORA mandarin? I've already mentioned it to my husband and he loves it. He won't be home for another year or so, so it'll be enough time (hopefully to cultivate the copepods.)
I started a journal of sorts with my tank too. It has been a long while since I made an entry. Then again, I am a lazy man and I am not that suprised that I stopped making entries. ~I'll probably end up doing the same. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySantos
http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356753
I have 2 100 watt heaters. I hope that's good. The power heads that I do have are 295 GPH each. If they don't do well I'll get the Korallia #2.Yes that will do but will take up extra space, can be hid by strategically place rocks though. ~I know... I'm thinking I might just use one now that I think about it. There's a lot of equipment, rocks and such going in the tank... And I can always keep the other one on hand just in case.

Okay, It was a little overwhelming at first, but I get it. My question here is, if the rock is uncured how would I go about curing it while performing the cycling? I was thinking Fiji live rock. 50 pounds??? I hope that wouldn't be too much. I want efficient space for the fish. You have two options. Cycle the rocks in the tank, now moving them around and you get the benefit of the fauna to populate the sandbed while cycling. Or cycle the rock outside of the tank in a container like a tupperware or something of that sort. Have to treat it just like cycling a tank in this case, need heater and pump for circulation and to do water changes as the cycle completes. Rock in either case may need some cleaning up, scrubbing with like a toothbrush to get deaddecayed materials off of it. ~I think the better option would be to do the cycling in the tank... I'm not sure about stores around here selling it though. I have 2 options there, ***** or a little pet shop here, and both aren't so good. I live in Kansas sadly.
Also would it be a good idea to set up a tank for copepods? I want to get a Green Mandarin Dragonet, my husband might be happy with that. You will probably have trouble keeping a Mandarin alive without the additional copepod population so yes if you want to cultivate them a separate tank would be a good solution. ~Would the 5 gallon be enough space for so many of them? or should I set up a 10 gallon tank?

meowzer

SWF (this site) has ora mandarins periodically....they also sell rock
I live in a very remote town in Oklahoma so I have to buy EVERYTHING online.....I will never buy from *****.,.....I highly recommend this site for livestock and corals though

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356772
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356769
just for you lois
Weather for Naples, FL
80°F | °C
Tue
Partly Cloudy
81°F | 62°F
Wed
Partly Cloudy
80°F | 60°F
Oh shut up.....it's 21 here....LOL...HEY HENRY.....what's it like in your neck of the woods? Storm hit yet???
SORRY MARY....we tend to do this once in a while.....that is part of the "family" feeling here ....

Lol. That's fine! I know your pain, it's 11 here and we're supposed to be getting 10 inches of snow.

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356775
SWF (this site) has ora mandarins periodically....they also sell rock
I live in a very remote town in Oklahoma so I have to buy EVERYTHING online.....I will never buy from *****.,.....I highly recommend this site for livestock and corals though
I was looking on here. I love the selection. :) I live in Kansas, so howdy neighbor!
We actually might get stationed there when my husband gets home.

spanko

Blizzard warning from 7pm tonight to 7 pm tomorrow night. 10-15 inches with 40 mph winds. Single digit temps.
It's snomeggedon!!!!

marysantos

Lol. It looks that way doesn't it? I'm still hoping for less blizzard weather tomorrow... or I'll have to just venture out into it.

spanko

Just saw on the news
Thursday high 9 degrees, low -2 degrees
Friday high 9 degrees, low -2 degrees.
Joe, say nothing!

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356792
Just saw on the news
Thursday high 9 degrees, low -2 degrees
Friday high 9 degrees, low -2 degrees.
Joe, say nothing!
YIKES....Thurs is supposed to be in the 30's....>Friday on the 40's As of now anyway.....the weathr changes with the blink of an eye around here

marysantos

Not very excited about it all... my friend said she tried to order food, and dominos is the only place that is and it's a 3 hour wait! Hopefully they get on plowing the roads...

mproctor4

Looks like we have the same forcast as you do Spanko. It is coming down hard here and I can hear the ice hitting the window. My poor husband (Keifers) had to go to work, he packed a bag because there is a good chance he won't be allowed to leave. A few years back I got stuck at work for 4 days during a blizzard--that was fun. One of the benefits of being a nurse.....I'm home sick now, cuddled in with the kids. Praying we don't loose our power. Hope you all make it through okay.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySantos http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356804
Not very excited about it all... my friend said she tried to order food, and dominos is the only place that is and it's a 3 hour wait! Hopefully they get on plowing the roads...
DOMINO'S I would wait 3 days for any type of delivery...LOL.. I live too far out of town....there is no Dominos around here anyway :( closest one is 45 miles
Funny story though.....my husband and I were shopping in that town...Paris Texas.....and we were buying an R.V. I knew there was a Dominos...so I called them and had them deliver it to us at the R.V. place for us to take home..LOLOLOL....Boy it felt good.....

mproctor4

Meowzer--that is funny. My husband just called, he was going to order us a pizza so I didn't have to cook, but I just feel too bad making the delivery person go out in this weather. I would be suprised if they are delivering at all now. Man, ya'll are making me want one!

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356805
Looks like we have the same forcast as you do Spanko. It is coming down hard here and I can hear the ice hitting the window. My poor husband (Keifers) had to go to work, he packed a bag because there is a good chance he won't be allowed to leave. A few years back I got stuck at work for 4 days during a blizzard--that was fun. One of the benefits of being a nurse.....I'm home sick now, cuddled in with the kids. Praying we don't loose our power. Hope you all make it through okay. ~I'll be praying for you too! It's going to get colder in the mid-west if the power goes out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356812
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarySantos
http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356804
DOMINO'S I would wait 3 days for any type of delivery...LOL.. I live too far out of town....there is no Dominos around here anyway :( closest one is 45 miles
Funny story though.....my husband and I were shopping in that town...Paris Texas.....and we were buying an R.V. I knew there was a Dominos...so I called them and had them deliver it to us at the R.V. place for us to take home..LOLOLOL....Boy it felt good..... ~
LOL! Geez! And 45 miles away? Idk what I would do!

marysantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/383634/hello/20#post_3356819
Meowzer--that is funny. My husband just called, he was going to order us a pizza so I didn't have to cook, but I just feel too bad making the delivery person go out in this weather. I would be suprised if they are delivering at all now. Man, ya'll are making me want one! ~Lol! That's exactly how I felt when I talked to my friend... then we started on peanut butter and banana sandwiches... I was about to leave for the grocery store! But it's better to have a few delivery cars, then everyone trying to get to the store! I don't think I've seen a car leave my area at all today... and I've seen dominos a couple times. :)