Help...Berlin Turbo

reeflooker

Should the center tube move freely and blow around, or should it remain upright in a fixed position?
What about that goffie turbo pump?? What a piece of crap... If I loose the pump and replace it with a regular pump, do I need to add a venturi valve?

wamp

Yes you will need to add a valve and no the center pipe should not move around..

david s

which center tube the one in the skimmer itself and as far as turbo pump they work awsome I wouldnt go back to regular venturi valve if you have a turbo somthing is wrong there explain what is happening

reeflooker

The center tube in the skimmer reactor is not secure. It moves around and comes to rest in a diaginal position in the reactor. The second, fatter tupe in the reactor seems to "clip in" and it stays secure. Should there be a gasket or something to hold the center tupe in place?
The problem I have with the pump is the shape. If the pump is the the upright position, the outflow points up. The intake of the skimmer is at the bottom. There is at least a 6" rise difference. I attached a 90 degree elbow to the pump outflow and I raised the skimmer by 4" by placing it on a brick. This worked, but...I will have hight problems under my stand and I don't like the brick idea. Is the turpo pump designed to work in a sideways position with the pump outflow pointed at the skimmer inflow?
The turbo pump seems minimal. I attached a RIO 2500 and it worked great. Also, the little back air intake hose is just not long enough to reach the front of the turbo pump. I guess I could use regular, clear airline tubing instead.
Finaly, how should I plumb the skimmer outflow ports? The directions say the outflow should not be placed directly in the sump water because this will create back pressure. I don't want splashing or noise.
Thanks !!!!!

reeflooker

I figuared it out, but no thanks to the instructions. The turbo pump is designed to lay on its side. The picture was shown on the box, not in the instructions. I was able to successfully attach the air intake line, make the adjustments and the skimmer works great. As for the plumbing, I attached a 1" PVC elbow with a small piece of PVC attached to each outflow port. The elbows are held to the skimmer with a rubberband. This setup works great.... The problem I was having with the center tube was due to over powering the skimmer with the pump.
I hope this might help some other Berlin Turbo purchaser.