help blue tang not doing so good

tucsonmike

I just bought a blue tang and a perc with and anemone on Saturday. All were doing fine eating a little and swimming around then I noticed last night my blue tang was like scratching himself against the rcoks and today he is in the corner of the tank breathing hard and is starting to turn white on the undreside and on his head area. He looks so sad someone help please its a little to early to call the LFS so I though your guys could help.
55gal
ammonia 0
nitrate 10
nitrite 0
ph 8.2

seannmelly

When they breathe hard, it's a sign of stress. Also, if he is scratching it can be a sign that he is getting or has ick. You should always quarentine your new additions especially IMO tangs. How did you acclimate him and for how long?? What are you feeding and is he eating? Hippos tend to be very shy when first introduced to a tank. When we got ours, he didn't swim for a couple of days. And it took him a week to start eating. Now he is doing great.

tucsonmike

He ate the first day then he wouldn't eat at all I put some algae and had tried 2 different types of food. I acclimated him the way my LFS told me with hanging the bag for about 30 min then tossing out some of the water and slowing adding tank water into it. He swam fine the first day now he just looks horrible. I don't see any spots on him or anything like that.

alyssia

What about the size of the tank? I think some people will say the stress is caused by the tank being too small for a hippo.

pfitz44

im hoping the SG of 1.0025 is a typo...
He definitly has ich. Good way to tell is if he is scratching and you see white spots. Check out the FAQs on how to treat it

misfit

Originally Posted by PFitz44
im hoping the SG of 1.0025 is a typo...
He definitly has ich. Good way to tell is if he is scratching and you see white spots. Check out the FAQs on how to treat it
definately.He needs hypo.I hope you dont have a lot of rock in that tank.Always QT tangs,IMO

fishtales1

i have a hippo and powder blue and if they break out in ich i lower my salt level(i dont have corals) and turn out my lights. add extra garlic to their food and and get a neon goby. they attach right to the side of your fish and clean them.i wouldnt suggest a fresh dip or anything because he is already stressed and that usually makes it worse.i wouldnt treat your tank either that usually does more harm than good.
good luck

alyssia

Originally Posted by FishTales1
i have a hippo and powder blue and if they break out in ich i lower my salt level(i dont have corals) and turn out my lights. add extra garlic to their food and and get a neon goby. they attach right to the side of your fish and clean them.i wouldnt suggest a fresh dip or anything because he is already stressed and that usually makes it worse.i wouldnt treat your tank either that usually does more harm than good.
good luck

It has been proven though that turning off lights doesn't affect ich.

tucsonmike

I just got home and the tang is just lying on its side at the bottom of the tank near some rocks. I thought she was dead as I reached in I had to like touch her for her to move and she swam like 6 inches than just laid on her side again kinda looking lifeless. I feel so bad my LSF said to take her in what do you think they will do just kinda nurse her because they made it very loud and clear whenever I buy anything that there is no guarantee on life.
Michael

fishtales1

i dont know who proved it and it doesnt really matter i just do what works for me and my customers. i do tank maintenance and i have to deal with ich all the time. treating your tank with chemicals is useless so i just stick to what works for me. as for the lights being off theory....the fish are in a more relaxed state when the lights are turned off. stress helps cause ich breakouts.

pfitz44

It is stressed and sick. I think any movement would not be benificial. What are the tank inhabs?? LR?? do you have a QT tank at all? There are only 2 ways to treat ich, copper, and hyposalinity, both kill inverts.

pallan

without pictures im not so sure ich is killing this fish. he has made no mention of white dots on the fish. just that it is turning white, I do not have a blue tang so im unaware of the color changes that it makes as compared to a yellow which changes color when stressed or at night.
IMO this fish is stressed and although he may have ich it is not why he is stressed. need to destress him. make sure no other fish/inverts are bothing him. leave the lights off and leave him alone. moving him back to the LFS unless they are willing to refund money if he dies would be unbeneficial as would a QT tank at this point. unless beth can come see some pics and diagnose wether it is a desease or just the normal blue tang behavior that gets it a NG (no gaurantee) stamp at virtually every LFS or online retailer.

alyssia

Originally Posted by FishTales1
i dont know who proved it and it doesnt really matter i just do what works for me and my customers. i do tank maintenance and i have to deal with ich all the time. treating your tank with chemicals is useless so i just stick to what works for me. as for the lights being off theory....the fish are in a more relaxed state when the lights are turned off. stress helps cause ich breakouts.

I agree that ich medications are useless.

tucsonmike

Sad day she was dead this morning. Her eyes were glazed and her gills looked a little white but her color was good overall. I guess I caught her in time to not harm the tank my ammonia was at 0 and the rest as well. I placed her in a 10 tank with saltwater what is the best way to dispose of her?

tucsonmike

thanks for all the help guys and gals good to know people are willing to give advise and suggestions without expecting something in return. Hope all your fish stay healthy.