Help!! brown stringy Algae

kniquy

My tank has been beautiful for the past few months -- no crazy algae only a little which would appear on some rocks and nothing that my tang and my mexican turbos couldn't take care of. I recently did a 25% water change and then a week later changed my lights from 250 14K MH to T5's -- I now have 2 actini, one purple and 3 12K bulbs. All of a sudden I am having this long stringy brown algae out break. I am going to test my tank when i get home from work today, but i can't imagine that after doing a water change that anything is really out of wack. Could the change in lights cause an algae bloom? Would a 12 K bulb cause that. I have been running 14K for the past couple years with no real problems.
I want to clear this up as quick as possible because it is crowding my corals and they are not happy.

bang guy

It sounds to me like Dinoflagellates. Can you get a picture of it posted? Dino pretty much looks like stringy snot.
If so then it is probably the light change affecting the algae and causing a PH change.
Siphon out what you can. Also do a search on Dinoflagellates. There are some smart people around that have probably already posted cures.

kniquy

I was trying to post a pic but haven't been able to figure it out. I did test and
nitrites and nitrates both 0,
Phos 0
Cal 420-440
Ph 8.3
I am guessing my lights are to blame, I'll definitely do a search to see if it is the dinofillanges - sure sounds like the problem just need to fix it.
Thanks for the input

kniquy

I have been observing the algae which has invaded. My only water paramater which was off which i forgot to mention before was that my alkalinity was a little low. I have never had my level be low - on the contrary it is usually a little on the higher side. I am not sure what to do to raise it up. Otherwise everything looks good.
The algae just totally breaks apart when i go after it with a turkey baster. It is easily blown off the rocks without much effort. I am going to try and go with limited lighting for the next couple of days -- it really seems to flourish with the lights on, because this morning i took a look and there didn't seem to be nearly as much as what was on the rocks last night.
I have googled dinoflagellates and it seems as there are no clear cut ways of getting rid of this PIA algae. I would prefer to avoid chemical means but if i get despirate i will try anything. Any suggestions from those of you who may have dealt with this would be appreciated.
I have attached a picture - not of my tank but of a picture of a similar looking algae. Mine is not as nearly covered

kniquy

I think i have eradicated the dino's!!!!! I am convinced that is what i had because it wasn't like any other algae out break that i have had in the past and all the pictures of what i have seen were exactly what was in my tank. I had dosed kalk nightly for a week with a very limited lighting schedule - lights on for a total of 3 hrs per day. The corals were not happy and would barely open up. I also started adding algaefix marine which seemed to take care of the final lingering algae. I just siphoned out all the dead algae last night and the tank is almost 95% better!!!!
I am almost afraid to do a water change because i am not sure if it was the water change or the change to new bulbs which triggered the out break.