Help buying lcd tv

mie

I need some input on buiyng a new lcd tv. I am going out this weekend but want some last minute help, I think I narrowed it down to a 52 inch samsung for $1399.00. We saw some cheaper sonys at costco for around $1100.00, I was also told they were cheaper sonys made with cheap parts in china. 1080dpi is a must, hz does not have to be the highest but do not want the lowest, 240hz will work. We will watch regular tv and movies mostly, occasional sports, Allready have category 2 hdmi cables.

9supratt4

I bought a Samsung Series 9 just over a year ago. And I'm in the process of purchasing a Samsung Series 6 for my gf's mom.
Here is what you want to look for....you want 1080p not 1080i. And you also want 120Hz+. There are advertisments showing both Hz rates.....120Hz is the highest you will get on an LCD TV. 240Hz is the highest you will get for an LED LCD TV.
Also, the higher the contrast ratio the better.
I love Samsung and wouldn't buy anything else!!

jaodissa

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3216702
I have this and love it.
Sharp Aquos LC-52D64U 52-inch LCD HDTV
We have this tv also. We have had it for 1 year and 3 months. About 4 months ago we had problems with it. A couple components in the back that give the screen power blew out and had to be replaced. It was an easy enough fix and with there warranty it was free. We also bought a 3 year coverage on it as a just in case.
My husband doesn't like the tv though. He says it's to grainy and poor quality when watching HD and blue ray stuff. (he say's it all techy like but I don't know t.v. talk.
He just purchased a Samsung LN52B530 52" 1080p LCD TV. It's his early birthday gift. Holy hell though there is a huge difference in quality. We watched pirates of the Caribbean on it and the scene where the two idiots and dog are floating in the ocean almost made me sick. It was like you were on the boat with them. I swear it looks 3d and my husband fights with me and says it can't be. (Which I know is true it just looks that good)
He's hidden the t.v. in his man cave though so it's only use is PlayStation point and shoot games. What a waste lol.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A few years ago I bought a high end Sony. It was supposedly a top TV. It got stolen in 2007.
I now have a Samsung, and I can say its hard to find fault with anything about this TV. I've always been a Sony fan, but I'm now Samsung's. Of course, they are sister companies.

bionicarm

Ironically, I just went through this same dilemma when upgrading my old TV. I looked at both the Samsung LCD and LED models, and the Sony Bravia XBR9 Series. I researched the reviews, and looked at both TV's at Best Buy. I liked the 'thinness' that you get with the Samsung LED TV's, but the reviews I read stated that you lost some clarity on the Samsung LED TV's because the LED's only light up the outside perimeter of the screen. Also, the blacks aren't truely 'black' in a darkened room. They seem to look better in a room with a little more light in them. I finally chose the 52" Sony Bravia XBR9. All I can say is WOW! The clarity and colors are unbelievable on High Def channels and Blu-Ray DVD's. I got it right before the first round of the NFL playoffs, and the picture looked as if you were standing live on the field. The whites are so bright that you almost need to wear sunglasses when a TV commercial comes on with a full white background. The Sony Model KDL-52XBR9 is an LCD TV. It is 1080P and it's also 240HZ, which is what you want if you're watching sports or action shows. I bought mine from the Sony website. Right now, they're going for $2099 with free shipping. If you can catch them like I did, I purchased a Refurbished unit for $1,545 shipping included. It comes with the standard 1 year warranty, and is fully tested by Sony before being boxed and shipped out. Keep checking http://www.sonystyle.com from special bundled packages and refurbs.
I would go to Best Buy and look at the one's you choose. Every person's taste is difference when it comes to picture quality and preference. My choice was the Sony, yours could be the Samsung. Also, don't forget the HDMI cables when hooking up your external devices like your cable box and DVD player. Makes a big difference in picture quality, and also takes care of both the audio and video inputs of your external devices. Don't buy into the hype of the Monster cables either. Most of the places like Best Buy will charge you $40 - $75 an HDMI cable. I bought mine from Monoprice -http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp. You can get a high quality braided metal shielded HDMI cable from them for $9 each. They have cables anywhere from 2 feet up to 50 feet. They also carry Optical Cables and other audio/video accessories at real nice prices.

reefraff

I have 2 Panasonics, one plasma and one LCD plus a Samsung LCD. I have nothing negative to say about any of the 3. I did some serious research before buying. CNET has some pretty good info on them.

the maggot

+100 on CNET reviews
I own a samsung Plasma and I love it, my neighbour has the series 6 samsung and its impressive in his bright room!
I think if you bought the upper end LCDs on the market you will be happy.
They are just like tanks, buy the biggest you can afford!!!!

noah's nemo

I have an ambilight,going on 6 years now.I feel like the thing is a relic,its only 1080i,but its still a great picture.It just seems like the poor plasma's are getting kicked to the curb already.For me they still give the best picture in any room,dark,light,medium,whatever.IDK.people are into slim i guess,but mine is on the wall and only sticks out about 5 inches,good enough for me.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3216770
I have an ambilight,going on 6 years now.I feel like the thing is a relic,its only 1080i,but its still a great picture.It just seems like the poor plasma's are getting kicked to the curb already.For me they still give the best picture in any room,dark,light,medium,whatever.IDK.people are into slim i guess,but mine is on the wall and only sticks out about 5 inches,good enough for me.
That's because they are
Many people (perhaps myself included) say the Pioneer Kuro is the best HDTV ever made.

nw2salt08

I have the Panasonic 42" LCD 1080p....it's wonderful. My husband and I love the tv. We watch quite a few movies in our household and the picture quality is great. My parents just bought a Samsung 50" LCD 1080p as well and they are really impressed with the picture quality.
One thing to definitely watch out for are the LED's. They are notorious for having the filaments in the lighting components on the sides going out and they don't last long because of it. Once those go out the tv is pretty much toast. You could hit a bump going home with it from the store and they could ruin. My husband and I have never even thought about looking at one because of this issue.

9supratt4

Just a note to everyone......don't forget that all these LCD, LED TV's need to be calibrated after about 1000 hours of use (burn in time).

mie

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/3216808
Just a note to everyone......don't forget that all these LCD, LED TV's need to be calibrated after about 1000 hours of use (burn in time).
How do I do that? Can I use ro water?

9supratt4

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/3216970
How do I do that? Can I use ro water?

I wish you could LOL!!
My company does it....we have a suction cup like thing that sticks to the front of the TV and is connected to a laptop....then we run a DVD that basically has color bars. The computer reads the colors and then tells you what to adjust.
A lot of people think its useless, but you'd be surprised how much better of a picture you get once the TV is calibrated.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3216717
A few years ago I bought a high end Sony. It was supposedly a top TV. It got stolen in 2007.
OMG Beth, someone stole your TV? What a lowlife!
You need to find a man. Your TV would still have nbeen stolen but you'd have a victim handy to take it out on.

moprint

Get a plasma better blacks and when you get up over 50" it's cheaper. LCD has bad off viewing angles. Check out avsforums for more info. I have a two 50" plasmas one Panasonic the other LG. You can't go by what you see in Best Buy or Sears the sets are usually fed a standard def pic that has been split several times.

mie

Hey everyone, thanks for the input and help. We bought a 55 inch samsung lcd 180dpi/120hz, Got it for $1599. What a nice picture, I am very happy. Thank you all again.