Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't stand SMELL!!!!!!!!!!

paul monroy

I have a 29 gal tank, skilter 250 for a filter,live rock, cc. clown, anemone, cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp. Water conditions are fine. PH 8.4 Nitrate 0-10 ammonia 0 nirite 0. salinity 1.022 Temp 77-78. The problem is my tank smells so bad right now, I can't stand to go in the room. I did a water change yesterday, but the smell is still there. What is the problem? Do you think I need more movement in the tank for the smell to go away? What causes this awful smell? I have green haired alage in the tank, do you think that is the problem?

blutang

I'm not exactly sure what the smell is but I would Strongly suggest a powerhead for your aquarium for water movement.
I would say its probably some type of algae in your tank.
Just a guess though.

clownman

Is your Clown - a Skunk Clown ? :p (j/k)
It could be caused by rotten food or chemicals used (Check your skimmer and make sure you are cleaning it).
Unless you're missing a fish? Rotten smell? :rolleyes:

nosmada

when i first set up my tank i was running one of those whisper filters which is kinda like a skilter ( without the skimmer part of course ) anyways, i found that mine would trap all the stuff in the filter pads and would give off an awful smell. not sure if you have one in your skilter but its just an idea
chris

twoods71

If the tank smells bad that is a good indication that the water quality is suffering.
You need to check things like your filters and clean the pads if you have them.
If you have a cc substrate use an aquarium vacume to clean it.
Check the skimmer and clean it.
Test your water levels for mainly ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.
Something is not right at all. Your tank should never smell that bad.

paul monroy

I cleaned my skilter, I changed the pads and clean the skimmer part as well and the smell is still there. What should I do?

dburr

Did something die in the tank? snails or hermits or anything? My water smell like the fresh ocean water.Thats how it should smell.

something in your water is not correct...not for nothin' but I would have to agree on a dying inhabitant or maybe some sort of rare smelling algae???

johnnysalt

I agree with my fellow Texan above.
Did everyone catch the irony from his signature with the smell in this guy's room?!!
NO! Put your shoes BACK ON....and LEAVE!
Sorry...couldn't help but make the joke! :cool:

flydan

Hey,
I would have to agree that something died in your tank, unless you just added a bunch of uncured lr. That will smell bad until it cures due to die-off too. You may want to get a turkey baster and blow around in your lr to stir stuff up into the water column so your filter can get at it, then add a powerhead or two to your tank. HTH
Dan'l

blutang

I would strongly suggest a powerhead once again simply because you need that surface aggitation to keep that water moving....the turkey baster thing is also a good idea, so that you filter can get at it and put it into your carbon.
Later