Help Catching SFE

garnet13aj

I know there are posts on here about catching fish, but I searched for threads specific to catching eels and couldn't find any. My SFE has become much more of a menace than I anticipated, so I've decided to take him out and give him to someone who has livestock less suited to his tastes. Does anyone have any ideas how to trap him or know of any posts that explain how to do this?
Thanks

burpuffer

i found that the easiest way is to get a piece of uncooked shrimp or something that you normally feed him and hold it in the water at the top of the tank and he will smell it and swim towards the top then you can net him.

dinogeorge

I had a moray that was huge. I was worried that he would take of my arm if I continued to chase him around the tank with a net. If yours is big, here is what I did.
Took a 4 foot long piece of 2 inch PVC pipe “you can cut to whatever length fits your eel”
Drilled a hole in the center of a 2 inch cap and forced it into one end
Took a piece of shrimp and threw it into the pipe
Sunk the tube in the water
Watched until the eel went in to eat the shrimp
I reached in and pushed on another cap and pulled the pipe out of the water
Water drained out of the hole in the cap
Removed one cap and poured him into a bucket
Never touched him….and I kept my fingers.

i just caught mine for the same reason last week. I just lured him out of him home with food and started with the net. Once you get half of him in the net stick it up against the glass. The pressure on his body will make him go into the net.

garnet13aj

Hmm, maybe I will try a net. He's midsized...I put a feeder fish in a bottle and he immediately perked up...but I was messing around in there too much, so he got kinda uninterested. I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow when he's a bit more hungry.