Help- dead shrimp debris!

kadella

Hi Everybody - Should I be worried? :scared: Last night I took out some dead cocktail shrimp that I used to start the cycle in my tank - forgot to turn powerheads off & when I tweezed them out, shrimp particles were blown all over my tank! This morning the water was clear and the filters picked up most of the debris, as I have good flow, but what about gunk that is hiding or got in crevices in my LR & LS? Should I take my whole tank down & restart? Or will this bacteria eventually just disintegrate? I don't have a vacuum, but will certainly get one, if it would help? Thanks!

sac10918

I know this isn't exactly an answer to your question but I have read somewhere that one you use a cocktail shrimp to start your cycle, you can place it in the foot of a new nylon and tie a not in the other end...This makes it easy to remove so it wont make a mess in the future. As for the shrimp debris affecting your water, I am not sure. I believe that it will be okay since you got out most of it. Be sure to clean out your skimmer and everything. I dont think you are going to need to tear it down and start over. Just give the cycle some extra time just to be safe.
Anyone else with experience?

cain420

i had some debris from mine and just left em in there... i think the little critters that hitch hiked their way in with the live rock ate em, or my filter sucked it up eventually.. I have had some of my red leg hermits get taken out by the blues, and I just leave their bodies in there for the tank to take care of.. I assume its better for your tank to be able to handle these things.. Or at least I sure hope so! LOL

turningtim

Originally Posted by cain420
i had some debris from mine and just left em in there... i think the little critters that hitch hiked their way in with the live rock ate em, or my filter sucked it up eventually.. I have had some of my red leg hermits get taken out by the blues, and I just leave their bodies in there for the tank to take care of.. I assume its better for your tank to be able to handle these things.. Or at least I sure hope so! LOL

Kadella, No worries you'll be fine!

Tim

kadella

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I am being overly paranoid about this 1st tank of mine! I'm having such a time with the cycle itself, I'm not even sure I've studied enough for fish. I will just let the tank be & exist naturally. I tell you, the smell of that shrimp was almost enough for me hurl- it just killed me to see all that funk crawling all over my beautiful tank! I 'spose this isn't the prettiest stage of SW! Thanks again!

seahorse11

Kadella, what i did was put a few cocktail shrimp in a ziploc bag and punched holes in it. It took about 2 weeks for the spikes but i didnt want to have to get the shrimp out that had fallen behind the rock and stuff. I know what you mean about the smell!! When I took the bag out, I almost passed out. The smell was so bad I was gagging!! LOL. Some small particles drifted out of the bag and floated in the tank. I just left them. I figured the hitch hikers on the rock and the clean up crew will eat them.