help, fish swallowed bubbles

baytran7

is there anyway to get the bubbles out of him? he's floating at the top of the water right now.
thanks fellas

H

hewetton

Did you actually see your fish swallow bubbles? Maybe problem with its swimming bladder?

baytran7

i don't know what's wrong with him, all i know is he tries to swim down but he keeps getting pulled to the top of the water. i wish i knew so i could fix it.

baytran7

fish isn't small, it's a blue tang that is 4" long. he eats when he can and doesn't have any signs of ich or fungus or fins frayed. but just has a bulge in his belly (not big). i've debated grabbing him and squeezing the air out of him but felt that is alittle cruel. am i out of luck with this one?

viet-tin

I dont know of any treatment for swimbladder infection but I would qt him until he gets better. He might also be constipated or something inside him is wrong.

brit0211

I dont know if this is true or not, but my friend had a sick fish one time, and it was floating at the top and on its side alot--- her mom called someplace and they said feed it peas or SOMETHING like that- I swear that her fish got better... maybe you should check into that??????
I have no idea, but I'm being serious.

baytran7

brit, i will try to feed him this, hope it eats it. thanks for the tip. let me know if you have any others.

brit0211

make sure you read up about it first though.... like i said im not 100% sure... but i know my friend did it, and there are also a few web results that come up when i google'd it
hope your fish gets well... give us an update soon

bang guy

Originally posted by baytran7
is there anyway to get the bubbles out of him

It'll all come out in the end.

pyro

correct me if I'm wrong, don't blue tangs play dead a lot? I'm not sure if they sink or float, but just something i've heard somewhere or other. Also, vegies are often a cure for constapation, we used them on my sisters oscar and they worked perfectly.
Good Luck!

dskidmore

Originally posted by baytran7
...but just has a bulge in his belly (not big)...

Doesn't swelling usually indicate injury or infection? I'd vote for QT and a round of antibiotics to be safe. If it's injury, the antibiotics can reduce the oppurtunistic diseases, if infection it should help him get better.
Peas couldn't hurt though. I tried them on freshwater fish before, and it does the trick. Might not be nutritionally balanced for a sea critter, but as a treatment you can always give it a shot. I'd imagine most whole, live macroalgaes would have a similar effect on the gut as peas. What is his normal diet?