help gbta takes a fall

saltydave

i have had a gtba for two days. i sat it on a rock at the top of my tank . gtba immediatly moved upside down in a cave.. on the move this eve. and has fallen from the top to the bottom, behind rocks(30 40) min. almost completely upsidedown. gbmaroon keeps attempting to move gtba, not really making any progress. gtbe has gotten very small,tentacles are small, tight and still have neon green tips. is my gtba ok?

T

thomas712

Well I have to ask because I don't know what you mean by gbta. Green bubble tip anemone?

saltydave

Originally posted by Thomas712
Well I have to ask because I don't know what you mean by gbta. Green bubble tip anemone?

exactly. you seem to be the anenome answer man, do you have an opinion on my situation thomas? is this somthing new bta's do in a new tank as they get used to thier new surroundings? thanks for your reply:nervous:

snailheave

they tend to shy away from light when they get moved to a new environment where the light is stronger.
why don't you help it up?

saltydave

Originally posted by snailheave
they tend to shy away from light when they get moved to a new environment where the light is stronger.
why don't you help it up?

it is lying on it's side in the back of the tank behind the rocks. my hand won't fit back there very easy. i didn't no if i should move it or let it be. when i got home from work (3hrs.ago) it was at the top on the move. will a bta let go it's grip and fall on purpose to get away from new light? thanks for your reply

T

thomas712

Well its typical to take a few weeks to acclimate itself to your tank, this includes walking around time. It is also making an acclimation from the lighting it was used to and your lighting.
Facters that I would like to know are.
Was it a local BTA or online purchase
Alkalinty? Calcium and Ph average, temp?
Lighting type and total watts?
Photo period - time the lights are on?
Two days with a normal photo period --has it been inflated at all and normal looking during this time?
If it is on the move right now then it will be shrunken, as it is spending its energy moving. - normal.
If you are worried about his being under or behind some rocks and loose then I suggest you wait until morning and if he is still that way you can blast him with a clean-tank-only turkey baster to get him out of there. chances are though that by morning the clown will have done that for you.
It is also a possiblility that the clownfish is making the anemone tighen up as well. - normal in some cases.
It will be normal for your anemone to wander about looking for a proper place to put his foot in, sometimes they can almost complely go into a hole to get away from the clown.
At this point all you can do is give him some time to adjust.
Sometimes they can hide from lights.
Thomas

saltydave

ur the man thomas, i feel a little relief. to answer ur q's. local purchase, arrived at lfs10-1-4. when i put in,blew up looked good moved immediatly upside down in a cave. i got home 3hrs. ago it looked alive and on the move. lighting 160w n.o. changing to vho on monday night. ph 82 alk 1.024 calcium don"t have a good test at this time. 12gal water change once a week. gbmaroon is working his gold bars off attemting to get gbta moved. kinda sounds normal huh? thanks for the input. going to check it agian. dave

T

thomas712

Watch the maroon he can love the BTA to death if it is larger than the BTA. One Trick to protect the BTA for a while is to place a plastic strawberry basket over the BTA for a couple of days or nightime only, sometimes with rockwork that isn't easy. Nice that your clown wants to be with it though and immediatly as well.
Let me know when you install those new lights, glad to hear that you will be upgrading.
Thomas

saltydave

Originally posted by saltydave
ur the man thomas, i feel a little relief. to answer ur q's. local purchase, arrived at lfs10-1-4. when i put in,blew up looked good moved immediatly upside down in a cave. i got home 3hrs. ago it looked alive and on the move. lighting 160w n.o. changing to vho on monday night. ph 82 alk 1.024 calcium don"t have a good test at this time. 12gal water change once a week. gbmaroon is working his gold bars off attemting to get gbta moved. kinda sounds normal huh? thanks for the input. going to check it agian. dave

lighta 2 48" 40w actinic 2 48"40w 10k. on 2pm - 2am. changing to 5' 160w uri super act, 5' 160w aquasun, 4' uri act white 110w, 4' uri super act 110w, and 3' uri act white 95w. adding 5'super act and 4's.a. on mon 10-12 adding remaining lighta 1 per wk. for three wks. does that sound like a good strategy for my light turn over? dave

T

thomas712

Sounds like a plan, so thats 560 watts total? That will help alot. Do you know what the anemone was under at the LFS?
Plan sounds fine, watch for algae growth because of the new lights, it can and does happen until your system gets used to it.
Thomas

saltydave

Watch the maroon he can love the BTA to death if it is larger than the BTA. One Trick to protect the BTA for a while is to place a plastic strawberry basket over the BTA for a couple of days or nightime only, sometimes with rockwork that isn't easy. Nice that your clown wants to be with it though and immediatly as well.
Let me know when you install those new lights, glad to hear that you will be upgrading.
Thomas

the maroon is big but he seems to be checking on it now. the gbta still looks thick not like it is resting,maybe even catching his breathe so to speak, hand out away from the new lights. does that strike you as normal behavior for a new gtba in a new land? in changing my lights, can you tell me what i can ezpect in terms of alge blooms. am going to purchase a new clean up crew in 2-3wks. as follows,6 dwarf zebra hermits,20 nassarious snails, 13 cerith snails,11 astrea snails. have 5 big turbo's, 5-8 blu legged hermits, serpent staras of today. dave

saltydave

Sounds like a plan, so thats 560 watts total? That will help alot. Do you know what the anemone was under at the LFS?
Plan sounds fine, watch for algae growth because of the new lights, it can and does happen until your system gets used to it.
Thomas

probably less than my 160. gbta has been in ft.worth texas for at least a wk.w/ no specific feeding. when and what should i attempt to feed gbta? many peaple have said silversides, how bout you t.? thanks dave

T

thomas712

I don't feed my BTA's as often as most do, lighting is there main food.
However when I do feed them its mysis shrimp, frozen plankton (large size that includes mysis, krill, and many other marine planktons) silversides are very nutritious, formula 1, cyclopezee (which is a very nutritious decapod copopod, heck mine have even eaten flake food.
Most of the above is frozen food, thaw it out, rinse it in a strainer, add some tank water, suck it up in a turkey baster and gently blow some of it into the BTA near the mouth. If it is healthy and hungery it will stick to its tenticals.
Thomas
going to bed :sleepy:

saltydave

I don't feed my BTA's as often as most do, lighting is there main food.
However when I do feed them its mysis shrimp, frozen plankton (large size that includes mysis, krill, and many other marine planktons) silversides are very nutritious, formula 1, cyclopezee (which is a very nutritious decapod copopod, heck mine have even eaten flake food.
Most of the above is frozen food, thaw it out, rinse it in a strainer, add some tank water, suck it up in a turkey baster and gently blow some of it into the BTA near the mouth. If it is healthy and hungery it will stick to its tenticals.
Thomas
going to bed :sleepy:

thanks thomas. i'm spending the day w/my girl and her daughter, sharks tale, i'll post tomorrow in eve. or sun thanks agian dave