HELP, Hairy Looking stuff on my live rock

fla. keys

Hello,
2 questions for you pros on this site who have been awesome in helping me out.
#1)My live rock which is not purple at all yet, is getting what looks like tannish/brownish little hair. I am thinking it is just leftover debris from uneaten food/ or fish poop? It is starting to create almost a fuzzy look on the rock. Any ideas what it is?
#2)I am for the first time (using Kalkwasser) starting to see flecks of tiny purple on the glass of my tank. I am happy with this. Do you think that these tiny flecks will begin to yield into a significant amount of purple coraline algea?
My only problem is while the purple is beginning to start on the glass, NONE has begun to grow on my rock????????????
Thank you for any/all advice and imput.
Gregg

ebeckels

what kind of cleanup crew do you have. Some hermits should take care of cleaning ur rocks if that is uneaten food or fish poop. Of course, it might be a type of algae and still the hermits could help with that. Coraline algae will grow eventually and it will start to grow on your rocks.

keitho

you can increase the rate of coralline growth by ensuring you have enough current and you alkalinity as well as calcium levels are optimal. scraping the coralline algae off of the glass will also help to seed your tank. the hair algae is a typical problem in new tanks. strictly regulate the amount you feed, test for phosphates and try to keep them down, and if the algae becomes too ugly and hair, you can remove it with an old toothbrush that has been cleaned thoroughly. hope this helps :)

biggdriver

Didn't notice if you said you use filtered water or tap water..RO/ water is best to remove phosphates and silicates from the water..You can buy a good RO/DI unit for under 200bucks or buy RO water. As stated above though if the phosphates and silicates are in check hermits should help keep the problem under control

joe5_15

i dont think that i would just leave it like mr tang said i think you should try to get it off if it hair algae because when i had alil hair algaein my tank it spread to alot a whole lot where i had to use marine sat which had copper in it and it killed my sponge but i also got rid of hair algae

lionpicasso

Just wanted to say that when i left hair algea it just worse and worse and worse my lr loooked like a glob of algea. What i do now is like they say take a old toothbrush and clean that stuff off .
I clean my lr whenever it starts growing.

turbojoe

HIYA....IMO...Use RO water.....use an airline tube too create a "MINI" syphon cleaner...manually try to get rid of your hair algea......test for phosphates religiously...test your DOC level.....make sure you have a great CLEANER TEAM...and be patient !!!!!!!!