Help Help! Ick

shoorty069

Help. Im not sure what to do! 2 of my new fish have ick, and it just started yesterday. Now its all over them. One is a Coral Beauty. And the other is a Longnose Butterfly. They have ick all over. Also, the Coral beauty looks like he was bitten on his little fin. I just recently did a water change, but the salt is fine, and im almost certain the water levels are fine because everything else in my tank doesnt have ick, and are quite healthy. I am going to check the levels tuesday, but i checked them not even 3 weeks ago and they were all perfect. Anything i can do, are my other fish in danger? SOMEONE HELP!
<3ryan

rgmason

Your water chemistry can change overnight or shorter in a new system when adding fish and stuff me persoanlly i would be monitoring my levels to make sure everything was ok as far as the ick go 's do you have a quarintine tank.

shoorty069

Its not too new, its been running for...since easter...so atleast 4 months. So its not too new. Is there anything i can do that would help them, are my other fish in danger of catching it if its just the 2 fish that have it, and also i forgot to mention ive only had the 2 for maybe a week and a half. But none of my other fish are affected.
ryan

rgmason

In order for me to help i need tank size and what you have in the tank if you know please not trying to sound mean but its going to help me give you the correct response

mikeyjer

Like the previous post said, it can change over night. You can't be certain that all the levels are right until you test it. I've tried the chemical stuffs and they're very harsh until I tried garlic guard. You should go buy some garlic guard to feed them or soak what ever food they usually eat in garlic and feed it to them. The ich went away in two days after I first caught it and feed it garlic guard. I love those stuff. Try and see. Good luck!!!

shoorty069

I have a 55gallon tank. Its salinitly level as of today is 29. When i put the water in the measurer, the little arrow moves inbetween the 2 bars and inbetween there is where it should be, or so the box says.
ryan

shoorty069

Whats in garlic guard? is it just like regular old garlic, because i have that, i can just mash it up and put some of that in their food?
ryan

mikeyjer

You can buy garlic guard at your local LFS. It's got a mixture of stuffs within together with garlic. Mesh up those garlic and soak their food in it and feed it to them little bits at a time making sure they would eat it before you just dump the whole thing in there and make a mess...
Good luck, hope they would do all right. It's harsh to watch them suffer.

rgmason

Ok that still doesnt help with the ick well it does but its not gonna get rid of it all on its own. What it all in the tank fish coral live rock live sand ? important info to help with treatment

shoorty069

Yea, i know, especially when theyre not cheap fish. We figured we could step up since the most expensive thing we put in there was a clarki. Oh well, so much for that. Would soaking their food in garlic, just plain old garlic help at all. Its 1230 in nj and i dont think any stores are open...
ryan

E

exile415

shorty. give us all your tank information ..
all your water paremeters, not just my parememters are good.
also give us a list of all your fish ls,lr,etc .. please so we can help you.
you can treat with HYPOSALINTY. is this a reef ? if it's just fish only without LR then you can treat with hyposalinty in the main tank. take a look at the FAQ Thread on disease and treatment posted by beth, it has very good information.

mikeyjer

by the way, hypo helps too just like the previous post said...just plain old garlic guard solved my problem....

E

exile415

your lfs will probably give you a bunch of useless information, remember this any medications you use .. make sure it doesnt say .. reef safe or can be used directly in your tank. only 2 ways have been proven to kill ich, that is .. hyposalinity and copper. if you choose copper, cupramine copper is a good decision. also grab the copper test kit while your at the LFS if you go copper treatment, hyposalinity is the most effective and safest. you will need a refractometer, the bar hydrometer will NOT work. it has to be 1.009 no more no less. exactly. too high will not be effective, too low can kill your fish.

rgmason

Exile Thanks for helping me oout on this one, about that thread earlier on the hippo and dragonets in the 37 gal tank check it out guy just doesnt want to listen to what he have to say.

shoorty069

I have a Blue damsel, a black and white damsel, 2 Clarkis, a Percula, I have 2 pink and blue shrimp gobies, a bicolor blenny, a few hermits, a starfish, and an anemone, and the 2 fish that are sick. I have 12 pounds of live rock(figi). 55 gallon tank with emporer 400 dual biowheels. salinity was already posted. I think thats it. Theres other rockwork, but its all deadrock and lava rock...
ryan