HELP! How many fish for a 92 gal. tank??

kah0197

Help!! New to the salt water world. Received a 92 gal tank for Christmas and I'm in the process of planning what fish I would like to aquire. In my planning I would appreciate it if someone could tell me the approximate number of fish I can put in the tank.
Thanks

N

newreefers

1" per gallon is the rule of thumb, however use the inches of each fish as an adult. If you get a fish that is 1 inch, but will end up being 4" use the 4" as part of the formula. Also, I would not put 92" of fish in the tank, that is just too many, they need room to swim, room to hide in the rock and call home, and with that many fish your bio load would be unreal.

kah0197

Here is the equiptment that will be used. In addition, I really like Tangs and Clowns.
My equiptment is as follows:
92 gallon corner tank
Tidepool wet/dry filtration
Mag 9.5 water pump
2-Penguin 1140 powerheads
Double Haliz P/S
300 watt heater
Hydormeter
Live rock
live sand 30 lbs
Overflow kit
25 watt quartz sleeve ultraviolet sterilizer

swilbs83

That doesn't make sense for saltwater or freshwater....I also have an african cichlid tank along side of my reef....1 inch per gallon isn't acceptable in any aquarium...Not sure where you all heard that, but it is dead wrong.......By your logic it would be ok to put a 92 inch fish in a 92g tank, which is ridiculous.......the "rule of thumb" is one inch of adult fish per 3-5 gallons depending on the type of fish...Kah please don't use the 1 inch per gallon rule...It is completely wrong.........In a 92 gallon you can have damn near any tang you want except for a naso(which gets huge).....You can also have any clown you want.....You could probably have 2 tangs in there...possibly 3.......

yeah, 1 inch per 5 gallons would be a good rule. clowns are great, but choose wisely, since different species aren't compatible.
also, the ones that stay small might get eaten by say, a lionfish or an eel. so thats something you'll want to keep in mind. well, have fun with the tank, i wish i could have one that big.
46 g freshwater

oh yeah, i forgot. i agree with jamesurq, 30 lbs of sand isnt much. usually 1lb per gallon is good, unless you want deep sand bed, then you'll have to ask around for how much since i don't know.

kah0197

Thanks everyone for the great input.
I'm starting off with approximatley 75lbs of live rock and will continue to add additonal live rock after my tank cycles. How much would be too much live rock?
Is Waterboy_007 correct that I should have 1 lb of live sand for every gallon? Since I'm new at this, I have really been counting of the information from the LFS.
swilbs83 - Thanks for the clarification. I thought that 92 inches of fish was a lot. I really want to have healthy compatable fish that will live and grow happily together (and not be crowded).

richard rendos

Actually a standard 90 gallon is 48" long and so is the 92 gallon corner tank.
As far as how many fish can be kept in it, depends a lot on the type of filtration, maintenance schedule, and the individual species of fish you get. More aggresive fish and open water fish need more room...less aggresive and reef fish that stay in the rocks all the time need less room.

swilbs83

I personally don't like the look of a DSB and prefer using more Live rock instead of it.......it's up to you on what you want your tank to look like...Take a look at a few tanks with a DSB and a few without them and decide on whether you want it or not....Don't listen your LFS!! most of them have no idea what they are talking about and will say anything to make a sale...........

herkemer

The main thing to remember is GO SLOW! Don't go out and get 6-8 fish and dump them in the tank all at once. Get a pair of clowns and then start adding your other fish one at a time. After you add a new fish watch your water parameters and if they stay ok add your next fish. "Go slow" should be the motto for a salt water aquarium.