Help Hydrometer sucks

newfishguy

I have a Deep Six Hydrometer from Coralife and have no idea what it is doing. I don't even know how high to fill the water with this thing. Sometimes I fill it all the way up and the SG stays at 1.032. Sometimes it goes down to 1.022. How high am I supposed to fill this thing?

R

ramsey

Did you knock off the bubbels off the needel "bubbels make it read wrong" and fill it to the peg at the top. Hope this works for you

dogstar

There not very accurate anyway but hold the whole thing under water and let it fill all the way up then tilt it and tap it so any bubbles come off of the neddle arm and then raise it straight out of the water. The right amount of water will stay in. Then check if you see bubbles stuck on the arm and if there is then tap them off and hold it straight at eye level and read it.

S

sinner's girl

dude, it's a piece, give up and get something else. It's not the bubble, it just sucks. Mine told me 1.022, the lfs's (diff brand told me) 1.028, the refratormeter said 1.025. My swing arm says 1.024.
Tap all you want, I had no bubbles. I even let it sit. I was adding salt and getting a lower reading....

Deep Six Hydrometer from Coralife
SUCKS, the guy at the lfs even said so, but his hydrometer read .003 high,

Oh and conditing it made no difference

murph

Hmmm. Mine seems to be working. Maybe you just got a bad one or maybe I just got lucky. I can relate though. This seems to be major problem with this hobby. Test kits, hydrometers etc. giving wrong or different readings from brand to brand.
At this point I think I am going to try to stay with one brand across the board and try to get a "feel" for how they read the parameters in my tank. Good luck.

newfishguy

I agree that it does suck. There are no bubbles. It just likes to give me different readings which is why I was wondering how high to fill it up. Does anybody have a good recommendation. Ill buy a different hydrometer or refractometer. Anything that is somewhat consistent would be nice because I have no idea what my sg is.
Originally Posted by Sinner's Girl
dude, it's a piece, give up and get something else. It's not the bubble, it just sucks. Mine told me 1.022, the lfs's (diff brand told me) 1.028, the refratormeter said 1.025. My swing arm says 1.024.
Tap all you want, I had no bubbles. I even let it sit. I was adding salt and getting a lower reading....

Deep Six Hydrometer from Coralife
SUCKS, the guy at the lfs even said so, but his hydrometer read .003 high,

Oh and conditing it made no difference

S

sinner's girl

I went back to using my swing arm one. The reason we got the hydrometer is I broke the swing arm and the arm was in the tank...behind lr, it was easier to buy somehing. My swing arm is Aquimum (sp) Systems SeaTest or something. At least I get the same results, and I know how much it's off. If the lfs guy didn't offer to test my sg, I would have really messed up my sg, since I was adding salt to raise it.
Spend the money and get a refractormeter, I'd say try another brand, but like I said, the one at the lfs was off .003. But I guess if you can get the same reading and you know it's off...
I was going to be ordering a refractormeter, but some stupid teenage girl hit my car, so untill I find out what's up with that, I can't spend any money.