*Help* I am just getting started and I think I am getting led in the wrong direction.

mmync

I am starting my first saltwater tank and I had some local fish guy set it up for me but I have a feeling that I need additional equipment and advice. My tank is about a 180 G. and it is going to be fish only or fish and live rock. This guy has a really great reputation around here but for some reason I think you guys will have a different opinion on some things. He said I dont need a protien skimmer, heater, power head or live sand. Yes I am a newbie to this hobby but for some reason I am getting the feeling that he is giving me bad advice and that I really should have all of these things. Please let me know what you guys think I should do and would really appreciate if you guys can even give me brand names and places to buy these things. Thank you very much in advance and sorry for questions that you guys have probably been asked a million times.:confused:

mmync

Well he says that the reason he reccomends not using a heater is because he sees to many fish being fried as a result of heaters being stuck on and the water gettin gto hot. And he says that as long as I always keep my house around 72 degrees that is what my tank will stay at. And as har as power heads I have 2 black tubes coming off the box at the top of my tank and it looks like they push some good water but I think they are just run off the rio 2100 pump because I know I dont have a power head. He said that I dont need live sand because it a fish only tank and not a reef tank.

T

thomas712

Wow!:eek: No heater, come on we know what Michigan winters are like ;) . I have 2 heaters on my 90. Look up the Won Pro heat. Great heater that you can set temp on the part that plugs into your outlet and not mess with the little knob you find on most at the top of the heater itself.
Do you really need a protein skimmer, NO
But your protein skimmer is going to pull the doc's from the water and prevent you from some algea outbreaks as well as oxegenate the water, which is a big bonus IMO. This peice of equipment alone will reduce the amount of maintanance required on your tank, like water changes will not usually be needed as often depending on system.
Do you really need substrate, ie crushed coral or sand, NO
But it sure does add alot of diversity and beauty to the tank IMO, with a DSB you get benifits and like was said great biofiltration, but I will not use one myself, because of the darkside of DSB's. I happen to prefer a shallow sandbed of 1 to 2 inches.
Do you really need powerheads, NO
But this answer really depends on your return pumps and how your system is setup, you will have to ask yourself if there is enough water movment or any dead spots in your tank.
My thoughts
Yes to the heater(s)
Yes to the protein skimmer
Powerheads are your choice and optional, but I would lean toward Yes
Yes on the sand, which you can find yardright made by southdown Inc just south of K-zoo here in Michigan.
And finally a question for you that you do not need to answer if you choose not to.
What LFS is this and where are they located....Answer or Pass.
Thomas

mmync

Well I live in Saint Clair Shores, but I have been dealing with a private fish guy. His company name is "The fish guy" and his name is Carl and he has a really great reputation around here but I have alot of doubts. Actually I have been to alot of fish stores that sell saltwater, but when I do I go to Ocean's and Sea's in Roseville. It would be nice to chat with you, my aol screen name is mike74jr and my msn screen name is mmync@msn.com so send me an instant messege. Thanks for the help.

T

thomas712

Im up in Midland, but get down state in the spring and summer to look up dusty old genealogy records once in a while. I'll shoot you an email.
Thomas

S

sebae0

mmync is "that fish guy" from star fish on 11 ryan? i know of him and they really only carry freshwater fish at their place. they tried sw fish but scrapped it rather quickly. as far a a heater goes you better get atleast 2 of them, i have 2 in my 180 without them the temp would go down well below 70.

mmync

No sebae, this guy doesnt have a fish shop. However he does deal with the people at oceans and sea's in roseville alot. Hey, I noticed that u live in warren. I live in saint clair shores. Maybe we can hook up one day. You have to check out my setup I hope it will maybe make it in some magazines. My email is mmync@hotmail.com My screen name for aol is mike74jr and for msn is mmync@hotmail.com

melbournefl

Heck I live in Florida and even I have 750 watts of heaters in my new tank, the temp here doesn't come close to yours. As far as the heater "sticking" and frying the fish ... that's the reason almost everyone agrees to go with multiple heaters instead of one big one. If one heater "sticks" you can correct the problem before the tank get's too hot. On a 180 I'd personally go with 3 200 watt heaters.
Just my .02 of course,
Paul

I am in Minnesota and have a 250 watt heater in my sump for my 125 gallon tank. The heater is on almost all of the time right now.