Help! I lost power

dic wood

I lost power do to the storm for 11hrs. so far. I have since lost 2 fish :cry: and the rest don't look good.
Would a simple air pump help? Any help would be appreciated!

snakeblitz33

A small battery powered air pump and/or a battery powered powerhead flowing across the top of the water would help tremendously. If worse comes to worst, you could stir the water with a wooden spoon every five minutes or so. I've done that before.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dic Wood http:///t/387597/help-i-lost-power#post_3411579
I lost power do to the storm for 11hrs. so far. I have since lost 2 fish
and the rest don't look good.
Would a simple air pump help? Any help would be appreciated!
I saved my fish for 4 days by taking a container I lifted the water out of the tank and let it waterfall back in. That manually stirred the water and added some oxygen every hour around the clock. I lost two fish, but saved my sea horses and the 4 fish remaining in the big tank. I ordered a generator so I won't go through that again. During our 4 day black out, there were no battery powered pumps to even buy, I ordered the generator online...nothing was in the stores....even batteries were gone, I couldn't buy anything.

snakeblitz33

Best to buy provisions for yourself and family AND the fish tank before a storm hits. One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
You'll know to get a generator and some extra gas and other stuff for your house/family on the next go-around.

nycbob

no backup plan for me either. when i had blackouts , i usually just stir the water evey 25 minutes and cover the tank with a blanket to prevent heat loss.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/387597/help-i-lost-power#post_3411688
Best to buy provisions for yourself and family AND the fish tank before a storm hits. One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
You'll know to get a generator and some extra gas and other stuff for your house/family on the next go-around.
Hi,
+1000..and I have to ask.......How is your Dad?

snakeblitz33

He's doing alright. Still has a respirator going at 5pm, should be off of it by now. He's probably really tired and sore and shot up full of pain meds, but at least he's alive. It's going to be 2 months before he can get back to work, and even then he can't do a lot of the heavy lifting stuff that's required in our profession.
Anyways, it will all work out.
OP - I hope everything is going ok and that you haven't lost any more of your livestock. It's hard when you see your tank dying in front of your eyes and there's nothing you can do about it. I know, I've been there.

fraglerock

Thank you all for the in-site, Conclusion of my power lose. The power was out for a total of 17hrs. like stated it was hard to watch my friends dying with out being able to help, not to mention trying to do things by candle and flash lite. I lost a total of 4 fish mutable crabs and shrimps. But on a happier note
I saved 7 fish plus inverts. I had 5 gallons of previously mixed saltwater. When the remanding fish were going belly up and were easy to removed. I split up the 7 fish and inverts that I could get out, in to 5 containers they came back to live and every thing I took out started doing better almost immediately. I feel blessed that nothing else died and as of yet I have not lost any corals. I am now researching generators and battery operated equipment. I do not want to have that hopeless feeling again.
Thank you all for your help.