Help!! I Need To Kill Them!!! Anemones

clownrico

I JUS BOUGHT A NICE SIZE FRAG FROM FEEDERS SUPPLY BECAUSE IT HAD SOME WAVING HAND, XENIAS AND AN AWESOME MUSHROOM FOR TEN BUCKS BUT! IT HAS 4 ANEMONES ON IT THE LONG DARK AND KINDA BIG. SHE SAID I NEED TO KILL THEM BEFORE THEY START TO MOVE AND SPREAD ITS BEEN STINGING THE WAVING HAND AND KILLED A PIECE, I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO KILL THEM TO SAVE THE TANK. LOL I TRIED TO CUT THEM OUT WITH A KNIFE BUT THEY SUCKED IN AND HIDE FROM ME THEN LATER ALL CAME BACK OUT! I WANT THEM GONE! HELP!!! PLEASE
thankyou

jumpfrog

First, try using lower and upper case letters. Usually percieved as screaming when you do all caps.
Some use a concentrated alk solution like kalk to inject the anemones, aptasia. Others have success with really hot water and some use joe's juice.
Do a search on aptasia and you'll see plenty of recommendations. Don't stress too much though. They can multiply quickly and sting other corals. If you're just starting out there isn't much damange they can do, but it's best to keep them at bay.
Good Luck!

mrdc

Joe's Juice is good stuff if it's aptasia. It worked well for me. I have some peppermint shrimps for preventive measures plus I like shrimps .... though I can't seem to find my golden banded or blue banded shrimps

granny

JUMPFROG!
I OFTEN USE ALL CAPS BECAUSE THEY ARE EASIER TO TYPE AND I CAN SEE WHAT I AM TYPING WITH MY POOR OLD EYES. Go easy with us, please.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Bronco300
if its aiptasia, a peppermint shrimp may be able to take care of them
Luke

My peppermints have never touched my aiptasia, the only thing that works for me is joe's juice.

clownrico

lol FROG SORRY BUT I LIKE TO YELL AND IF THAT BOTHERS YOU THEN DONT LISTEN. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, ANYWAYS i DID some reading online about peppermint shrimp killing the aptasia and its like 50/50 some people say they work and some dont, im conflicted i also saw that u can use GLUE whats that about how do u do that? wont that mess the water up.? im going to try and use hot hot water and inject them? u think thats effective?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ClownRico
lol FROG SORRY BUT I LIKE TO YELL AND IF THAT BOTHERS YOU THEN DONT LISTEN. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, ANYWAYS i DID some reading online about peppermint shrimp killing the aptasia and its like 50/50 some people say they work and some dont, im conflicted i also saw that u can use GLUE whats that about how do u do that? wont that mess the water up.? im going to try and use hot hot water and inject them? u think thats effective?
First of all, Yelling isn't nice!!! If you want advice, then be nice! It is a 50/50 chance with Peppermint Shrimp. Joe's Juice works well, make sure you get the air bubbles out of the tip of the syringe before you use it cause you would squirt it everywhere. Go from the tip of the aiptasia when treating, covering it with the solution, it kills it within a few min. I wouldn't try the super glue method as the holes they're in have multiple entrance holes and they can come out the other end or two. Once the Joe's Juice solution touches them, it'll kill'em. My Peppermint just recently start eating all the aiptasia I think. Haven't been treating for them recently but noticing them disappeared out of site. :happyfish

jacklax

Joe's Juice is definitely the way to go. It's a very precise application, and very affordable. The only problem is getting to all of the tough to reach places. The Peppermint Shrimp can be hit or miss...mine never tackled the big aiptasia, but I haven't seen any new ones, so I can only assume that the babies are being eaten. watch out though...I've heard that Peppermint Shrimp will pick at other good anemenies as well.