help id..stinging my xenia

cowabonga

because my xenia touched it and it shriveled up. But i dont see anyway possible it could be a polyp. It looks like some type of anenome.....the body texture does no look a polyp but rather an anenome or some hammer coral...:confused:

T

thomas712

Thats a button polyp and it will shrivel when touched.
Thomas

sammystingray

I can't believe nobody jumped in and screamed aiptasia. :D :D Someone always does. Got a better pic? I have to say it looks like a zoo, but it's hard to tell.....kind of blurry.

sammystingray

OH, BTW when corals get stung by anything packing a punch.....most often they don't just shrivel.....there is usually a big spot that looks like it melted or was eaten away. It's VERY obvious when something gets stung good.

T

thomas712

LOL:D Come on Sammy we can't all be clam *@! oops I mean aptasia experts.

mullethead

looks like the same type of polyp that i got as a bonus on a chunk of porites....within six months it started overrunning the center of the tank..i tried cutting them out...bad idea,,any little piece grows back and the heads that get away and fall thru the rock attach and start growing. i am going to resort to injecting them with super concentrated calcium to see if it will knock them back.....if it is the same type , be careful, they could take over... the xenia also could overrun. i was warned in the begining to keep them isolated and didn't.. now its a battle to keep them under control

sammystingray

I seriously can't tell from the pic, perhaps a description along with the pic may help. The tentacles look really short, is this true?

jonthefb

could be a sessile jelly in the medusa stage ( cant quite remember the name of these guys right now), or possibly a majano anemone!
good luck
jon