Help installing DI addon

yerboy

I originally purchases just a standard RO unit but have since bought a DI add on and I'm wondering where in line do i install it. I have read online to put it in between the water source and the RO unit and have also read that i just install it on my RO's output line. So I'm totally confused and need help.
Edit: 999th post

nitschke65

Most people install the DI unit at the end of the line, so that the media doesn't have to be changed as often. I installed a bypass so that I can send my RO water through the charcoal post filter for drinking water, or through the DI unit for aquarium water.

yerboy

So the DI cartridge doesn't need to be pressurized like the other filters? I Guess that is what confused me the most.

coastie81

I installed mine on the out put line of the RO water. I also have a TDS meter installed on the out-put of the ro water and another installed on the out-put of the DI filter just to help out with changing filters and I can monitor the TDS. just my .02

nitschke65

To my knowledge, the DI cartridge does not have to stay under pressure to function properly. I switch back and forth and have had no anomalies in water quality.

nitschke65

Actually, the only filter that needs pressure to function is the RO membrane itself. The only reason the prefilters are pressurized is that they need to be in line before the membrane to reduce the load on the membrane and the ammount of "waste" water produced.

scsinet

Yes, put it on the output.
If you put it on the source water you'll go through DI resin VERY quickly.