Help- Lawnmower blenny looks sick

pittsburgh23

I have had this guy for like 3 months now and in the past 2 weeks it looks like he's been getting skinnier. Well, today I notice that his stomach is starting to sink in. When I feed the fich, he has never really eaten, rather he eats algae. But I have about 8 snails now in my 37g, and there isnt much algea, so maybe thats why he isnt eating.
If there is a solution, please help.
Thanks in advance. Other fish I have in the tank are pseudochromis, percula clown, flagfin angel, 1 cleaner shrimp and a peppermint, and like 8 different hermits. DSB and about 50lb LR. All water conditions seem good, and I just did a water change over the weekend.
Thanks in advance.

buzz

Typically, they do eat algae, thus the name "lawnmower" blenny...heh heh.
But you can wean (sp?) them on to other foods. Unfortunately, I weaned mine so well, he doesn't do much for the algae anymore.
I feed fish gum drops, which is soaked frozen brine. I started with flake food, and it wasn't interested. Then I put these in, and it went nuts. Now, it will eat these, flake food, etc...
What have you been feeding the other fish? If it's just flake food, try something else. It is skinny because it probably hasn't eaten, as you suspected.

killafins

there are these strips of algae my lfs puts in there tank. They look like three inchwide , about a centimeter thick things of smooshed up seaweed. check it out... srry i don't know what there called...

buzz

If he is weak from starvation, making him acclimate to a new tank may just be too much for him, and could kill him right there.
You can get him to eat. You just have to give the right foods. Try that first. Once he starts eating, he will gain strength, and size - and it will happen fast.
****Incidentally, just noticed the reply before this one was deleted. That post suggested to give the fish away, or sell it, and it was too late to wean it to different foods. That is what prompted my comment about starvation.

susiepan

Another thought to try and get him to eat is t add garlic to the food...I use galic and all my guys go nuts the second it hits he water...Smush up some silversides or any f cubed frozen suff d add a few drops of the garlic...You can purchase this mostly anywhere and usually gets any picky eater to eat...unless hes sick..
Good luck to you..Susie