HELP! leather coral has a weird hole... (pics)

mr.clownfish

yesterday my amazing center piece devils hand coral wasnt looking so hot, and today it hasn't opened like it usually does. today i found this weird perfectly round hole in the center... what could it be from? this one of my FAVORITE coral of all time, so please help me out!

thank you

meowzer

do you see anything crawling on it? You may have to wait till lights out.....You may want to get some lugols dip....and do a dip on it Just in case it does have a bug

mr.clownfish

ohhhh that sucks!!
the leather is attached to the biggest piece of live rock in my whole tank!
i didnt see anything on it, ill wait till lights out and see what it is.
and i guess i have to dip it, i have no choice

mr.clownfish

oh and i used a turkey baster to suck out what ever was in there, then i flushed it out and nothing came out of the hole.

spanko

From reefpedia
"Why is there a hole in my leather?
Typically, a hole in the cap of your Toadstool leather is the beginning of the coral's reproduction. As the hole grows larger and approaches the edge of the cap, a small piece of the coral will dangle from the mother colony and eventually drop."

meowzer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3296750
From reefpedia
"Why is there a hole in my leather?
Typically, a hole in the cap of your Toadstool leather is the beginning of the coral's reproduction. As the hole grows larger and approaches the edge of the cap, a small piece of the coral will dangle from the mother colony and eventually drop."
So this is a good thing

spanko

Can be if it is a propagation point. Can't tell if this one is. Could also be a Rapa Rapa snail hole, or some type of worm hole. I just threw out the propagation thing as another option and a bit more information for us to have under our belts.

mr.clownfish

O__O wow if thats really what is happening then that is cool.
but i like totally shoved the turkey baster into the hole and sucked up what ever was in there... tissue was the only thing that came out, no snails or worms..
and it has opened up today after 3 days of being closed..

S

smartorl

Yes, very interesting and dibs on the new one! It's a beautiful piece.