Help maintaining canister filter

woody189

Hi I have a 46 gal tank w/ 45lbs of LR... I currently have 2 clowns, 5 turbos, 2 redlegs, 2 nass snails, and an emarld crab...and a camelshrimp that i never see.
I have a skimmer and an eheim ecco 2234...I keep reading different things on maintaing it
-What should i clean and how often. I know I haven't cleaned it once yet (about 2months)... The flow from the outake looks kind of week. I don't want a nitrate buildup so i want to clean it.
-should i rinse the balls or replace 2/3 of them..
-should i replace all filters or just the white pad??
-also, how often...
I know a biological filter isn't really neccessary if i have LR, but it can't hurt right? any othe suggestions?? thanks

maeistero

if you're ats woody, get ahold of henry. i'll help you out.
otherwise, post a location as cannisters take personal attention to figure out.

phxfishguy

Don't clean the bioballs, nor should you replace them. Clean the filter pads and the canister itself. You should clean it out once a month or so. Replace the pads when they get real bad.

michaeltx

you can take the bioballs out and rinse them with the water change water that you take out of the tank. this will keep the benifitial bacteria alive but get rid of all the other stuff that will cause a nitrate build up. same thing with the filter pads and media if you do have to replace things that are part of the filration system only do a little at a time so the system has time to level out.
HTH
Mike

woody189

I'm not sure i have bio balls. I THOUGHT bio balls were plastic things. My filter has some balls that are idk what material, but they had dust in the bag from them rubbing. It says in the manual to change 2/3 of the balls every 3-6 months, and to change the top filter (white) w/ every cleaning. The other fitlers only need to be replaced if damaged.
I'm not sure if i should keep the balls or partially change them or what.

grim_reefer

install sump/refugium and remove the canister filter from the tank.. the canister can be kept for water polishing but usually isnt needed as long as your parameters are in check.. a nice sand bed and live rock in a refugium will be far more beneficial to the setup and involves less maintenance..

woody189

Originally Posted by Grim_Reefer
http:///forum/post/2560794
install sump/refugium and remove the canister filter from the tank.. the canister can be kept for water polishing but usually isnt needed as long as your parameters are in check.. a nice sand bed and live rock in a refugium will be far more beneficial to the setup and involves less maintenance..
thanks for the suggestion, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon... I know it's a good idea, but i'm gonna stick w/ my filter for now...
can anyone else help??

michaeltx

you can do it either way by changeing out 1/3 of them at a time but in the meantime youll want to clean them with just old tank SW water so you keep the bacteria alive and kicking. if you choose to change them out I would use Live rock rubble in its place it will keep the bacteria load up.
does that make sense LOL
Mike

ibew41

with 45 lbs of rock you are fine to change the bio balls as long as the rock has been in over 2 months,also when you clean the foam filters really clean them good