Help! Maybe?

sarge

Okay I just noticed what looks like gas fumes in my sump/fuge. I was topping off the water when I noticed it going into the tank. It reminds me of the gas fumes you see when putting fuel in your car. Could this be a byproduct of the calurpa? Or..... a byproduct of a Plate Coral that was dying? I remove the plate last night. Tank readings are-
PH 8.4
Nitrate between 40 & 80ppm
SG 1.026
Ammonia .25 ( had always been 0 before the plate started dying, mini cycle?)
Patiently waiting.:confused:

sarge

Could look like heat waves, everything seems to be working ok. I have a MAG7 return pump and a CPR Skimmer and the Heater.

sarge

Yes. At this point the water seems clear in the sump. I just have to wonder if the calurpa gave off something.

michaeltx

how fast were you topping off adding FW to SW fast will cause a heat wave look?
if it was your algae going sexual it wouldnt just go away and would be more of a milky white than heat waves.
Mike

agro

If the salinity of the water you are putting in there doesn't match exactly you will get that effect until the water gets mixed good. Needless to say, it is very noticeable when you are topping off with fresh RO water! :)

I agree, its probably just the FW mixing withe SW. It causes a wavy look until it is thoroughly mixed. Should go away in a minute with good circulation.
MCF