Help me explain to my hubby why...

misty7850

I am still thinking on upgrading to 120 gallon. from my 46 gallon bowfront.. Says he (hubby) , I don't need to buy more live sand, or rock. that we can just put the live sand and rock we have in the middle of the 120... put the stuff that needs to be on the sand there and voila.. there yah go..
I tried to explain to him, this won't work. I have sand sifters (starfish, snails, etc..) that would have the sand spread out from the middle in no time flat, and then oops there goes an avalanche of live rock.. not to mention that the sand would be more likely to be all over the place from the movement of water also caused from the powerhead..
Maybe he doesn't understand what I am trying to explain.. Someone, anyone.. Please help me explain this so he will understand better.. I want to keep my reef happy if / when we upgrade.

hot883

You WILL need to add double the sand. It does not have to be live sand. Buy dry, rinse REALLY well and then put in lr first, new sand and then old sand on top of that. If the rock is on the bottom glass then the sand you will not get an avalanche. More rock will be needed as it will look empty on having rock from the 46 in there. I had 100 lbs. in my 55, when I switched to my 125 I had to order 175 lbs. more.

bacia

Maybe you can try this.
"Ok dear, I will put all the sand in the middle and put the things that need sand there. But I will have to build a rock retaining wall to keep the sand in the middle or, like in the ocean, the sand will drift. To build the wall I will need to get live rock and put it on the glass bottom next to the sand. Since there will be no sand to keep the rock in place I will have to buy enough rock to go from the retaining wall rock, that I am using to hold the sand in place, to the side of the tank so the retaining wall rock won't move. Because if the retaining wall moves the sand will move. It will cost more money to buy that much rock than if I was to get the sand in the first place. Sand is cheaper than rock. So if I get the sand needed to cover the bottom in the first place and just a few new rocks it would be cheaper than if I bought enough rock to hold the sand and retaining wall."
This should either confuse him :notsure: or convince him :joy: . Good luck.

misty7850

Originally Posted by Bacia
Maybe you can try this.
"Ok dear, I will put all the sand in the middle and put the things that need sand there. But I will have to build a rock retaining wall to keep the sand in the middle or, like in the ocean, the sand will drift. To build the wall I will need to get live rock and put it on the glass bottom next to the sand. Since there will be no sand to keep the rock in place I will have to buy enough rock to go from the retaining wall rock, that I am using to hold the sand in place, to the side of the tank so the retaining wall rock won't move. Because if the retaining wall moves the sand will move. It will cost more money to buy that much rock than if I was to get the sand in the first place. Sand is cheaper than rock. So if I get the sand needed to cover the bottom in the first place and just a few new rocks it would be cheaper than if I bought enough rock to hold the sand and retaining wall."

I love it.. thanks everyone for the replys :jumping:

mrsdorothy

Originally Posted by Bacia
Maybe you can try this.
LMAO! I read this to my husband and the only thing he did was scratched his head and asked "What did you say?"

misty7850

Ok, so like I explained both of what Hot833 and Bacia said, plus again re-iterated my thoughts.. on why it wouldn't work.. he said..
"Honey in the end you know more about this than I do. The tanks are your baby's. Do what you think is best. " Amen
:jumping:
:jumping:

sharkbait9

It must be for women only to understand. I just read this four times and i'm like a dog chasing his tail, just going around and around getting no where and still not understanding this. It will work with out a problem.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by misty7850
:hilarious

What a great guy to respond that way! You lucky girl

Be sure to post some photos, can't wait to see the 120!! You go!