Help me find my perfect fishies!

fishfreak24

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to start this thread, but here we go...
(I rarely make posts, I think I've posted like, 3 times, but I read EVERYTHING that is posted here!)
I am cycling a 90 gallon right now as we speak with some live rock. I am DEFINITELY going to be doing a reef tank, although I'm going to take it rather slowly.
I'm looking into fish that I should add to it. I have a Green Spotted Puffer right now, he is probably, idk, 7 months old and verrry small. He seems to only be aggressive toward me (don't bite the hand that feeds you!) and leaves my scooter blenny alone. That's the second fish I have (I have a 20 long going right now with hardly any live rock, like, 10 pounds).
What's most important to me is that Winston (the GSP) is safe! I don't want him to be eaten lol.
SO with that taken into consideration... What kind of fish should I add!? If you could add any fish..what would they be?
I REALLY want a dogface, they are adorable, but reading up I've seen that they are fairly aggressive and eat up all your CUC.
Also...my sister isn't into this at all, and since I'm living with my family right now, I'm trying to find fish she LIKES. She says all she wants is either an eel or a really fat fish, like a chunky guy (she compared her ideal chunky fish to Winston after he has eaten, lol). Does anybody know of any chunky fish like this? I think I'm going to buy 3 green chromis, a yellow tang, and 2 firefish gobies sometime next week.
Anyway, opinions? (Sorry, once I get to talking I really can't stop, lol
)

jaxfishgirl

How long have you been cycling the 90 gallon? I would not add anything until your cycle is done. Are you testing your water?

fishfreak24

My tank has been cycling for a full 2 days
I'm not planning on adding any fish to it for at the very least a week.
I have a bunch of live sand from my 20 gallon and some live rock to add to it before I add fish anyway, so it's not a HUGE issue. I have lots of freshwater experience and I work at a pet/fish store (although it IS freshwater only) so I have a great understanding of the cycle.
I'm waiting as long as possible before I add fish.
And I have plans to build my own LED lighting system...including canopy for the top.
My problem is more deciding what kind of fish I SHOULD add and finding the perfect fat fish for my sister!
Don't worry, I love fish a ridiculous amount and I would NEVER just throw a fish in the tank and put them through any kind of poisoning/torture.
Thanks for the links

crypt keeper

Your tank can take up to a month to cycle. The two fish you have are in the already cycled 20 gallon correct?
Right now you need to just relax and wait. Then turn your already cycled 20 gallon into a hospital tank. This will save you money and the lives of your fish in the future. a qt set up is probably the single most impoartant thing you can have IMO in this hobby. Its expensive as it is already no need to make it that much more costly.
To help speed up the process on the 90 gallon drop two raw pieces of shrimp in there. This will break down and help start the bacteria growth in the tank. If you used Mature live rock this process can take a lot shorter time frame.
You say you are going reef. Puffers and reef tanks dont go to together. Puffers are known coral eaters. So you must decide what you want. Reef or puffers. The GSP may not be a reef eater but Im betting he is.
In all honesty your 90 gallon is probably about 2 months away from adding any new fish. The time it takes to cycle then the time it takes to qt any new fish that you bring in. ICH is a huge issue and your GSP would love you in the long run if you did not give it too him.

hunt

i would get a puffer they have great personalities. I have a valentini puffer in my 30 gallon with two false perculas(one black one orange)

fishfreak24

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3211512
Your tank can take up to a month to cycle. The two fish you have are in the already cycled 20 gallon correct?
yes, the 20 has been fully up and running for 7 months.
Right now you need to just relax and wait. Then turn your already cycled 20 gallon into a hospital tank. This will save you money and the lives of your fish in the future. a qt set up is probably the single most impoartant thing you can have IMO in this hobby. Its expensive as it is already no need to make it that much more costly. I was planning on making my 20 a QT already.
To help speed up the process on the 90 gallon drop two raw pieces of shrimp in there. This will break down and help start the bacteria growth in the tank. If you used Mature live rock this process can take a lot shorter time frame.I have some of my live rock in the tank now. The cloudiness is I'd say about 85% disappeared. In about 2 or 3 days I'm planning on going to a great LFS and having them test my ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/phosphate and check my water in a refractometer.
You say you are going reef. Puffers and reef tanks dont go to together. Puffers are known coral eaters. So you must decide what you want. Reef or puffers. The GSP may not be a reef eater but Im betting he is.I've known a few people who have had their GSP in a reef tank and it worked out. I have a lot of tanks on standby so at worst he gets his own tank. I doubt he'll mind that. Also I'm not planning on adding any reefs until I get a BUNCH of live rock, like 200 pounds of it. And since I'm adding like, a pound or two a week...that is going to take me a while.
In all honesty your 90 gallon is probably about 2 months away from adding any new fish. The time it takes to cycle then the time it takes to qt any new fish that you bring in. ICH is a huge issue and your GSP would love you in the long run if you did not give it too him.I'm using my live rock and my live sand to make the 90 safe. I'm just waiting on the equipment I ordered to get here so I can start adding more to it slowly. I'll know my course of action as soon as I get my water tested. And yes. I know ich. I know how terrible it can be, I know how it's caused, I know what it looks like, I know how to treat it. I'm not incredibly concerned with it right now.

Like I said I'm just trying to get a few ideas of what kind of fish I wanted to put it in, what your favorite fish were, etc. I pretty much have this completely under control. I know there might be a time along the way when I make a mistake, but as of right now I've done nothing wrong. I have had the tank for 2 weeks and only 3 days did I add water to it. I know to go slow. I was just trying to get an idea of what kind of fish I wanted to add. That's all.

crypt keeper

Havent said you have done anything wrong. I was just trying to get full grasp on whats going on. I apologize if I came off that way. Not my intentions at all. 200lbs of live rock is too much for a 90 gallon. You need half that. When I said that puffers are coral eater I ment the dogface you want too add. It just flat out wont work in a reef. They will eat most inverts in your CUC as well.
If you buy new test kits the directions are very simple. Add water to the line, drop in x amount of drops, and wait 5 minutes. Waste of your time to get the tank tested in a few days IMO. Id wait 2 weeks. You need the test kits anyway. That way you can diagnose any problems you may have in the future and post them on the sites of your choice looking for help.
Now in a 90 gallon Id say have 1 fish as the main show fish then add some smaller fish. You could house up to 5 or 6 smaller species.
Any of the reef sake wrasse's. One of the most over looked gorgeous fish out there.
Gobies. Blennys. You name it
Id personally go with
Clown pair because I love them. I have a black and white pair
Fairy wrasse/Reef safe Wrasse. Not a 6 line. Too aggressive with smaller fish
Diamond Goby or Jawfish Pair.
Kole Tang
Dottyback of some sort
The list can go on and on. I like Dwarf angels and would be willing to take the risk on them. Its hit or miss but a Flame angel IMO is probably the most gorgeous fish we choose to keep. I have one with a BiColor angel and the two together will blow any fish out of the water in colors. They just make each other pop. Its unreal.

crypt keeper

This is my 75 with about 85 pounds of live rock. My emp was about 4 inches until i got rid of him after I downsized tanks from a 150. The BiColor is about 2 inches the Trigger is about 3/4 of an inch when this was taken a few months back. Rock set up is still the same.

monalisa

Originally Posted by fishfreak24
http:///forum/post/3210935
I think I'm going to buy 3 green chromis, a yellow tang, and 2 firefish gobies sometime next week.
Wow, that's a LOT of fish to add at once. My advice to you regarding adding your new fish would be to add the 3 green chromis...wait 2-3 weeks...add your yellow tang...wait 2-3 weeks, etc., etc. By adding everyone at once, you stand a good chance of stressing your system. I'd hate to see that happen to anyone!!
Best of luck to you with your project. Hope to see pictures really soon!
Lisa

gill again68

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
http:///forum/post/3211744
Wow, that's a LOT of fish to add at once. My advice to you regarding adding your new fish would be to add the 3 green chromis...wait 2-3 weeks...add your yellow tang...wait 2-3 weeks, etc., etc. By adding everyone at once, you stand a good chance of stressing your system. I'd hate to see that happen to anyone!!
Lisa
+1
I think your stock list is good but go slow. Just in case of.....
I know your looking for ideas but as you have probably read here and on other post, people are just worried and want you and your fish to be happy. Thats why I like this forum. They will tell you when you have a bugger on your nose!

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by JAXFishGirl
http:///forum/post/3211691
won't her cycle last longer if she is slowly adding LR to it instead of all at once?
No. As long as you buy cycled mature live rock and get it home within 30 minutes it will be fine. I added live rock as i went. It doesnt hit the wallet as hard

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
http:///forum/post/3211744
Lisa
in 90 gallon the chromis and firefish arent a lot. The Tang would be pushing it IMO to add at all once. Yellows arent good in 90's. Id get a Kole tang instead.

fishfreak24

I didn't mean to come off defensive! I just really don't want anybody thinking that I'm selfish and trying to get everything going too hard too fast...I learned that lesson with a few freshwater puffers before and I'll NEVER put another fish through it.
I wasn't sure on the yellow tang. I have heard that they're amazing cleaners and very beautiful/active. I know that they grow pretty large so I don't want to jeopardize him.
Your tank is beautiful! I love angels, I didn't think I liked them all that much when I was looking at pictures but after seeing the movement in your tank I definitely will look deeper into them.
I LOVE the black and white clownfish. They're sooo amazing but quite expensive! I would LOVE a pair of them!
As far as adding fish I've been told that 4-6 max would be a "safe" number. Although I suppose that doesn't factor in the stress of being shipped. I NEVER want to deal with ich. It's terrible and disgusting and soo sad.
As far as pictures...lol it's just pitiful. I started a blog on blogspot about it, basically to track my progress for myself and maybe one day when my tank's up and running be able to show it to beginners (like me)...I don't know the rules on links but if you REALLY want pictures I'll send you that link, lol
Oh and I'll definitely look up Kole tangs. I want what's best for my tank!
I did hear about the dogface and the reef/CUC problems. Maybe one day when I don't want to do reefs anymore I'll just do a dogface in a live rock tank..
Thank you guys for your advice.
I promise I'm listening to everything and doing what's best and everyone here is awesome with the advice. I'd never want to harm a fish ever so I just want what's best.