Help me free my life of aptasia

scsinet

Originally Posted by bender77
http:///forum/post/3108280
I have peppermint shrimp from this site and they have yet to touch the baby aptasia in my tank. I will most likely try the pickling lime next. I got the babies by killing a bigger one that hitchhiked on a zoa with lemon juice.
Keep in mind that peppermints are reclusive animals, especially when newly introduced.
Aiptasia are like cockroaches... if you see one, you've got a lot more that you can't see. Peppermints are going to get to work on the aiptasia that's under and behind rocks where they can eat without coming out into the open.
But one day, you'll look in the tank and your aiptasia will be gone.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to keep your peppermints hungry. Many folks that feed their tanks frequently are just training their cuc to wait for a handout, rather than letting them do their job. Fish don't eat in the wild nearly as much or as often as we feed them in our tanks.

Mech has a good point... camelbacks are notorious for being mistaken for peppermint. Buy from a reputable source (swf.com has always sent me the real McCoys), or learn to spot the difference if buying from an LFS.

btldreef

We used Aptasia X, works great, and got 2 peppermint shrimp to kill the ones we could not reach. From our experience, peppermints are not that great, we had one that ate only aptasia and then died, and one that ate all our copepods and almost starved our mandarin. I agree that aptasia is like herpes, you can control flare ups, but you'll never get rid of them all. Learned over time that it's better to kill the ones you can see right out in the open and leave the others alone so that they don't get agitated to the point of releasing more into your tank.