Help me pick a protein skimmer please!

cjeffrey77

Right now I have a 55 gallon tank, i'm hoping to upgrade to a 180 gal in about a year or so. So i'm thinking about just going ahead & buying one that I can just transfer to the 180 later on. Right now i'm looking at either the Berlin turbo hang- on (which i'm told that I can easily use with a sump later) & a Turboflotor multi (which will also be a hang-on now, used with sump later) I also keep hearing that the aqua c remora is a good one however I really don't have any info on them. If anybody can give me any input on these, or even one that you think is better if there is one, i'd really appreciate it. The way I see it, I can go ahead and invest a little more money now & have a really good skimmer that will last a long time. I just want to make sure that I get the best one that I can possibly get & you guys seem to be the pros! Thanks for any input!

f1shman

Well the AquaC skimmer's have a patented skimming technqiue that is proven to outperform a large majority of its' competitors performance. An AquaC Remora may be a little too small for a 180 gallon, its for up to 75. And the AquaC Remora pro is for 75+. But, AquaC does make a protein skimmer called, AquaC EV-180 which is for tanks 60-200 gallons. Heres some info on it:
Features:
The new EV Series skimmers are designed to run in sumps WITHOUT BEING RAISED. The output gate valve has been increased to a height of 10" (EV-120/180 models), which means that as long as your sump level is 9" or lower you will not need to worry about fluctuations having an impact on skimming consistency. The powerful EV-240 can sit in water as deep as 10".
The addition of a precision ball valve for airflow control allows the aquarist to fine tune the skimmer`s output. Unlike most other high performance skimmers in this class, the EV is remarkably silent. The spray injection system does not generate the sucking noises typical of venturi and Beckett units.
The John Guest "Speedfit" fitting is a great feature you will only find on AquaC ozone-equipped skimmers. This fitting is standard on models EV-240 and above, and can be ordered on the EV-120/180 ($5.00 option). Aquarists may also connect their calcium reactor effluent line to the skimmer`s speedfit connection. The pH of a calcium reactor effluent typically falls between 6.5-6.9, and over time the addition of this low pH effluent can have a deleterious effect on the system`s pH level. By dosing your effluent directly into the skimmer, excess CO2 will be "blown off" into the atmosphere and the tank pH will remain unaffected.
The improved "Twist-Lock" collection cup and cap makes for a secure, flanged connection without the need for set screws or other locking type unions. Simply twist to crack the seal (EPDM gaskets) and removal requires a scant ¼" clearance. The new EV Series skimmers can be operated with AquaC`s auto-waste container, which are available in 2.5 and 5 liter sizes.
Increased contact time = more protein removal. The size of the mixing box has been increased on all models by approximately 40%. To accommodate the extra foam the skimmers now feature taller and wider reaction towers, as well.