Help Me Pick Out A Good Skimmer

gio28

i have a 36 bowfront with a 20 gallon sump in about to hook up. i need opinions on good skimmers for my tank size that will really pull out alot of dark gunk. it can be hang on or in-sump...but my sumps skimmer chamber is small so it would have to be compact. thanks.

gregzbobo

the AquaC Urchin is pretty good, and fairly compact, has a footprint 6"x3", need I believe 23"-25" from its base to the underside of the tank to be able to remove the collection cup. I have the HOB version, works very well. The Maxi-jet version should be great for your tank, and they run 160-180 bucks online. There is a larger Pro version that comes with a Mag-drive pump, but its bigger and you may consider it too much for your needs.

small triggers

I personally would go with the ASM mini G rated for up to 75gallons, and less than $100 and comes with the pump...worked great on my 35g w/20g sump all aggressive

gio28

i looked into both, i found out the mini g has too big a footprint, but the urchin would do good for my space requirement. thanks guys, anyone else have any other suggestions or agree with the urchin?

gregzbobo

Just to add to my earlier reply, the footprint I mentioned on the Urchin is likely for the skimmer body itself, the pump would add to that (you probably saw a picture or two), but a cool thing about the Urchin is you can relocate the pump just about anyplace in the sump. The hose that it comes with doesn't have to be used, you can probably use other hose if you need to work some placement wizardy, but I'd avoid too many bends and lengthening of hose.
You say its going in a "skimmer chamber", if there is a way you could position the skimmer so the pump would sit in an adjacent part of the sump, then you'd be good to go right from the box.

gio28

Originally Posted by gregzbobo
http:///forum/post/3126245
Just to add to my earlier reply, the footprint I mentioned on the Urchin is likely for the skimmer body itself, the pump would add to that (you probably saw a picture or two), but a cool thing about the Urchin is you can relocate the pump just about anyplace in the sump. The hose that it comes with doesn't have to be used, you can probably use other hose if you need to work some placement wizardy, but I'd avoid too many bends and lengthening of hose.
You say its going in a "skimmer chamber", if there is a way you could position the skimmer so the pump would sit in an adjacent part of the sump, then you'd be good to go right from the box.
sweet. thanks. i will definitely look into getting this skimmer.