Help me please!!! Anemone and clownfish crisis.

camarogabi

I'm not sure what kind of anemone I have. I purchased it and the guy told me it would be good for clownfish. But they have not laid in it. He didn't even tell me how to feed it or care for it, can anyone help me and tell me what kind of anemone I have here and how to care for it? Please.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarogabi http:///t/396270/help-me-please-anemone-and-clownfish-crisis#post_3530206
I'm not sure what kind of anemone I have. I purchased it and the guy told me it would be good for clownfish. But they have not laid in it. He didn't even tell me how to feed it or care for it, can anyone help me and tell me what kind of anemone I have here and how to care for it? Please.
I don't know what kind of anemone it is...but all anemone's (except the long tentacled tube anemone) needs intense light, pristine stable water conditions, and a chunk of shrimp every once in a while. Cover all power heads and in-take tubes, they follow the water flow and get sucked up... poisoning the tank as they die. they have no eyes, they have no brain, just an anus with a mouth.
Getting the clownfish to host with an anemone is hit or miss, mostly miss. The clownfish don't NEED an anemone to survive, nor do they automatically bond, and spend their day wallowing in it. So even if it's the "right type" of anemone, it means nothing. My clowns preferred the out-put tube of my canister filter to the anemone. I did have one clown wallow a coral to death, again ignoring the anemone. In 13 years of having clownfish, ONE pair actually one day took to the anemone that had shared their tank with them for 2 years. Now I just keep seahorses, I like them much better.

esee

i have the same type but much bigger. My ex-clown fish love it. you need decent light for 8 hours, and feed them with shrimp or fish every few weeks. I dont know the name.

tthemadd1

It may be a Condy. Could be wrong. Not the best at id. Type that in an image search and see what pops up.

deton8it

It is a Sebae anemone (Heteractis Crispa). They can grow rather large. Here is a pic of mine. It is about the size of a dinner plate.

melvinakshay

It is a condy.

Also clownfish do not usually host on that. It has happened before but that is pretty rare. My clowns always avoid it.

Condylactis anemone gets most of its food via photosynthesis. So the brighter the light the better. Mine moves around constantly so it will find its fav spot without your help. You don't "have" to feed it at all. Maybe if you feel the need to - a small piece of shrimp would suffice. I would recommend kent microvert food though.

flower

Hi,

Welcome to the site Mel...to add to your helpful care tips...cover those power heads and intake tubes, anemones tend to follow the water flow and get sucked up, poisoning the tank as they die.

I just realized the title says crisis....a clownfish does not NEED an anemone at all. It's kind of cool when they bond, but it's always a 50% chance they won't. Mine liked to hang out by the intake and out put tubes of my canister, I have had clowns wallow corals to death, and yet wouldn't bother the anemone. One couple I had did like the anemone and it was great to see, but I had those fish for 5 years before they decided to bond with it.

deton8it

Maybe it is a Condi but it looks just like my Sebae did when it was little. It is huge now but it still has the blue/purple-ish tips. What does the foot look like?

John