HELP ME PLEEEEEZ

daytrper

I think they are some sort of sponge, but i have these little white, cotton ball looking things growing all over my LR. When they get bigger you can see a hole in the middle. Then when they get even bigger they start developing little white branches coming out of the openings. I was told they are Tunicates? I can't find much info on these...Are they good or bad? and if bad how can i get rid of them?

hermit

Originally posted by DAYTRPER:
I think they are some sort of sponge, but i have these little white, cotton ball looking things growing all over my LR. When they get bigger you can see a hole in the middle. Then when they get even bigger they start developing little white branches coming out of the openings. I was told they are Tunicates? I can't find much info on these...Are they good or bad? and if bad how can i get rid of them?

I had the same thing happen to one of my star polyp colections.. It caused me some trouble because this sponge grew under it and uprooted it off of the branch it was attached to.. I ended up using a new tooth bruch (which was shaved down to fit in a pipet) to brush it off the rock.. It worked but the damage had been done.. I was not able to find anything writen about these little things.. As far as I know, they are just little white sponges.. I wouldn't have minded them if they grew in a better place then they had...
Good luck

halide

Don't worry both are a none threat to your reef there actually a good sign that your tank is healthy and as a added bonus they clean your water so think twice before you scrub.

krazzydart

they are just filter feeders..... and are o.k. for the tank but if you see them growing in a place you don't want them just scrap them off