help me something is wrong with my tangs

i have 4 tangs in a 400 gallon tank. they are loosing there facial scales and have ich which i am working on. they are also in there with some perc clowns which are fine and some chromis which are fine and the 2 4 striped damsels which have the same problem as the tangs ich/ facial scale loss. i was wondering if there is anything i could do and what is it called? all water readings are normal :mad: :confused:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How are you treating the ick? Is your tank FO?
I would say the missing scales is most likely HLLE [head and lateral line erosion], however, since the fish are sick already with ick, it could also be leisions from the ick.
Give more details about what the missing scale areas look like.

well the area around where the tangs and damsels have the facial scale loss looks like
an anenomies tenticles? but i should mention they the damsel with the same proplem don't 1 dosn't have ich but still has the loss of scales and the 1 tang has no signs of ich but still the facial scale rot. i don't know what we are using to treat the ich. see what we are doing is this is a resturant tank and we both are taking care of it. and well he has the ich med at his home. if i where to get rid of all the water and put in all new would that work. also it is a fowlr not a fo :confused:

well the area around where the tangs and damsels have the facial scale loss looks like
an anenomies tenticles? but i should mention they the damsel with the same proplem don't 1 dosn't have ich but still has the loss of scales and the 1 tang has no signs of ich but still the facial scale rot. i don't know what we are using to treat the ich. see what we are doing is this is a resturant tank and we both are taking care of it. and well he has the ich med at his home. if i where to get rid of all the water and put in all new would that work. also it is a fowlr not a fo :confused:

1. i know they have ich because the ich was there first. then he started to treat the ich with a copper stuff and then they started to loose the scales. i have given them all a fresh water dip and it seemed to help 1 of the tangs. he is the ichless one but they all have the loss of facial scales

i am not asking about my home tank. i am new to the hobbie at my house but the tank i am talking about is at my local zoo. see i voluenteer my time there taking care of some of the animal with the keepers. and they have this huge 400 gallon fowlr system. with the 4 tangs i figure what a great way to learn about saltwater tanks and asked him (the keeper of the tank)if i could work on the sickness with him he said sure and now i am asking u guys as a table of reference along with some other books. but we have now gotten rid of the ich and we think it is hlle thanks to u guys. so we are now feeding the tangs alot of greens. if there condition dosn't improve well i think i'll be back. or we might just go an agressive setup. o and if you are wondering the resturant thing was a lie cause i didn't wanna tell u that i worked at a zoo. thanks for your help anyway :D

peasly1

your tangs could be getting stressed from the damsels especialy if they are srgt. majors..3-4 black stripes through them, I had 3 yellow tangs and 5 sgt.majors in a 125 fowlr, the damsels killed 2 and chewed the fin off the 3rd

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A zoo should know better than to put copper in a tank that has live rock. Has anyone there tested water quality?? Since the copper would have killed off LR, I imagine that the tank has some pollution at this point.
Please test water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH.