Help me stock my tank!

ross

My tank has been set up for about 5 months and i need to decide on a stocking plan. So far i have 2 percs and 1 royal gramma whos still in qt. I want 1 flame angel and 1 purple tang. What other fish are really cool that are reef safe and will make my tank really cool. I was thinking about a couple firefish. Please give some suggestions of some of your favorite fish. Oh yeah no sixline or anything that will eat a bunch of pods because i eventually want a mandarin.:D :)

drakken

Originally posted by Ross
I really like those but i want to keep some shrimp.

A longnose hawk is a great fish and won't eat shimp as long as they aren't too small. I had one and he was very cool to watch but he went carpet surfing. Firefish are also expert carpet surfers so be sure there are no holes in the top for fish to get out.

lesleybird

My tank has been set up for about 5 months and i need to decide on a stocking plan. So far i have 2 percs and 1 royal gramma whos still in qt. I want 1 flame angel and 1 purple tang. What other fish are really cool that are reef safe and will make my tank really cool. I was thinking about a couple firefish. Please give some suggestions of some of your favorite fish. Oh yeah no sixline or anything that will eat a bunch of pods because i eventually want a mandarin.:D :)

I thought most fish ate pods....? Not just the sixlines. All the fish I know eat adult live brine which are about the same size as an adult amphipod. I think that for a healthy mandarin you need a refugium or a reef with hardly any other fish. Maybe someone else can comment on this thought. Lesley

ross

Yes most fish will eat pods but i think sixlines actually go looking for them to eat. I'm not really sure but i think most fish just grab them when they get the chance. Anyway i figured with a sixline there wouldn't be enough pods for the mandarin. I won't get one until i have at least 125lbs of lr.

ross

I was thinking about getting some but will they really school. I have heard that they will for a couple weeks then they won't anymore. How many would you recomend getting?

usddlroller

Hey i would try a jawfish they are shy at first but they are one of the coolest fish to watch and have awesome personalities :)

lesleybird

Hi, I love my bicolor blenny (named him Benny), because he is so fun to watch. He has his favorite hole in the rock where he sits with his head sticking out and his little eyes watching your every move. I love to watch him swim around and then back perfectly into his hole tale first. He is very peaceful and easy to feed....he will eat anything. I also have a very pretty fairy wrasse that I like a lot. Lesley

kreach

I was thinking about getting some but will they really school. I have heard that they will for a couple weeks then they won't anymore. How many would you recomend getting?

We have had ours for several months now and they are still schooling. I think the trick is to get the school all at once instead of adding one at a time. I'd reccommend three.